Work party at WMREC orchard, Keedysville, Sunday, June 30, 1pm

Bruce Levine

Jun 27, 2024, 10:13:11 AMJun 27
to MD-TACF Orchard Volunteers, md-tacf-bo...@googlegroups.com
Dear chestnut volunteers,

We are looking for volunteers who can help us weed-whack, spray and water the chestnut orchard at the Western Maryland Research and Education Center (WMREC) in Keedysville.    If you were involved in planting these trees, they are growing.  But so are the weeds.  And it has been dry.

Place:  WMREC,  18330, Keedysville Rd., Keedysville.    (Once you enter WMREC, turn right at the first intersection a few hundred yards up the road from the gate.    Proceed down this  side road until you pass through another gate into the fenced portion of the property.  The orchard is on the right, to the south, behind the hops and apple orchards.)

Time: 1 pm - 3 pm (-ish)

Tasks:

1.  Weed-whacking.   WMREC mows the orchard for us, but we have to keep the weeds down between the trees and around the tree tubes with weed-whackers.    We welcome volunteers who can bring their own gasoline or electric (with a sizeable battery) weed-whackers.

2.   Spraying herbicide.  We will do some limited spraying with roundup herbicide around tree tubes and in places where there is dense poison ivy .   We only need a few people for this task.

3. Watering: we will be transporting water in containers from the watering station to the orchard, and watering the trees by hand.  (Approx 660 trees).  We supply the containers.  Its labor intensive, but it goes suprisingly quickly.  And the trees appreciate it.    The good news is that after this first year, we will not usually need to water the seedlings.

If you can join us for this work party, please let me know at BruJ...@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Bruce Levine
Vice President, Maryland Chapter of the American Chestnut Foundation

If you have not been to WMREC before, the address is: 18330, Keedysville.

Once you enter, turn right at the first intersection a few hundred yard up the road from the gate.    Proceed down the side road until you pass through another gate into the fenced portion of the property.  The orchard is on the right, to the south, behind the hops and apple orchard.

Bruce Levine

Jun 29, 2024, 1:35:26 PMJun 29
to MD-TACF Orchard Volunteers, md-tacf-bo...@googlegroups.com
Dear volunteers,

Due to heat and likelihood of thunderstorms, we are postponing the work part at WMREC that was supposed to be tomorrow to Monday, July 1.  It is supposed to be much cooler and dry.   We plan to start at 10:00.

The main focus will be still be bringing the weeds undercontrol between and around the trees.  So please bring a good weed whacker if you have one.

We'll also do some watering, unless the trees really don't need it.

Thanks and sorry for the sudden change.

Bruce