MCR Licensing (Spanish)

Irina Gossmann

Nov 14, 2012, 9:52:54 PM11/14/12
to mcr-...@googlegroups.com
I am being somewhat confused by the licensing. As far as I understand the Spanish part of MCR was originally developed for EuroWordNet and later ported to align with Princeton WordNet 1.6, and then 3.0, which is its current state in MCR. The research/commercial license for EuroWordNet Spanish can still be obtained at ELRA (http://catalog.elra.info/product_info.php?products_id=547), while the Spanish part of MCR is CC BY 3.0 (i.e. free for both research and commercial use) - is that correct?

german rigau

Nov 15, 2012, 6:23:06 AM11/15/12
to mcr-...@googlegroups.com
More or less ... ;-)

The initial version of the Spanish WN was developed in the framework
of the EWN project using WN1.5 as ILI. The resulting wordnet was
released through ELRA.

After EWN, we continued developing the Spanish WN thanks to
additional funding from public and private projects. The resulting
wordnet, now using WN1.6 as ILI, was released by their owners using
different licenses for commercial and research purposes. For instance,
part of it was included in previous versions of Freeling.

The version currently distributed as part of the MCR is totally new.
It has been developed from scratch using different techniques. It uses
WN3.0 as ILI and its license is CC BY 3.0. That is, free for both
commercial and research purposes.

Best wishes,

German