Cell Phone Policy

Indya Hawkins

Apr 7, 2022, 10:19:46 PM4/7/22
to MckinleyTech
How do you all feel about the recent email regarding the new cell phone policy?
Personally, with the number of lockdowns, I'm not comfortable with it. The entire student body shouldn't body shouldn't be punished. The privilege should be stripped of those in violation.

Evelyn Simmons

Apr 8, 2022, 7:40:15 AM4/8/22
to Indya Hawkins, MckinleyTech
I want to support the interim principal in any way she needs it. However, I have the same uneasiness about not being able to be in out of communication with Mikey.

I understand how disruptive the behaviors catalogued would be to classroom management and am sympathetic to the teachers and want to support them.  I think it is well worth exploring what it would take to have a more measured response — though I am sure keeping track of phones taken would be a large added administrative burden.

The rationale for the change features safety as a justification — but I agree with you.   I don’t see how my son not being able to reach me in an emergency is making him more safe.

We try to teach our kids to be responsible and respect the rules and to accept the consequences when they are not. This approach does seem to punish the innocent along with the guilty. Again, I’m sure it’s easier to have one set of rules for everyone and it does sound like they are just going back to pre-COVID rules but the city seems more dangerous post-pandemic.
I would like to have a clearer idea of the safety issues the McKinley and the neighborhoods faces and what is being done to mitigate them and how we can help.  Would also like to know what other measures the school has tried before banning cellphones for all.  Maybe that would help me be more comfortable with the new policy.

Evelyn Boyd Simmons