Email address change

Janis Muske

Dec 30, 2016, 11:19:02 PM12/30/16
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
I originally signed up for the McCown google group with the email rett...@gmail.com
I am discontinuing that account and would like to sign into the group as janm...@gmail.com.
I couldn’t figure out how to change my email address, so I requested membership with the new email. I know things are hectic over the holidays, but can you help and let me know what I need to do to make this happen.

Thanks and Happy New Year.
Jan Muske

McCown.org email

Dec 31, 2016, 9:05:34 AM12/31/16
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Jan, I will try later. Internet troubles have me limited to email on my phone only. Thanks for your patience.

You might try just subscribe in subject line with new email address , then unsubscribe the same way after you see if the other works. Not much traffic on the group sadly.

Leonard

Leonard J. McCown

Sent from my iPhone

Janis Muske

Dec 31, 2016, 9:33:23 PM12/31/16
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Leonard… Tried that and it came back as a failure.

Janis Muske

Jan 3, 2017, 11:25:14 AM1/3/17
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Google shouldn’t make this so difficult. GRR!

I tried but got the message that it was a private group and I had to be invited.

Technology is so wonderful .. when it works.

Leonard J. McCown

Jan 10, 2017, 10:34:25 AM1/10/17
to mcc...@googlegroups.com

Jan, been so long, I have forgotten how to do things!

I tried to sign up for you an account, and got this message:

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­

Leonard J. McCown, Irving, Texas -- McCown Family History

217 West 14th Street, Irving, Texas 75060-5903

972-254-7952

leo...@mccown.org -- http://www.mccown.org

People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to

their ancestors. -- Edmund Burke, 1790

image001.png

Ann Mcelhaney

Jul 17, 2017, 9:07:01 PM7/17/17
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Leonard, I haven't been receiving any group mails.  Wanted to check on that.  And could you add this email address along with my aol address, please.  annm...@gmail.com

Thank you,

Ann Mcelhaney
annm...@aol.com

George Stuart

Jul 17, 2017, 10:19:09 PM7/17/17
to mcc...@googlegroups.com

Leonard,

For what it is worth I got a copy of this message. So I guess your list serve is working. I have not had any others lately so maybe there just has not been much activity.

I have matched several on AncestryDNA that have McCown in their ancestry. Some are from my Neshoba/Winston county side and some from those who first settled in Monroe and Lowndes counties. I also have had several from other branches of Francis and Nancy Swinney McCown and all the way back to Francis and Margaret Patterson McCown.

George Stuart

Mississippi

image001.png

Leonard J. McCown

Jul 18, 2017, 10:43:42 AM7/18/17
to mcc...@googlegroups.com, George Stuart
image001.png

Leonard J. McCown

From: Leonard J. McCown <
leo...@mccown.org>
I tried to sign up for you an account, and got this message:

cid:image001.png@01D2FFAC.365D07D0

image001.png

Lisa Simpson-Luke

Jul 19, 2017, 11:31:23 AM7/19/17
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leonard,

I am receiving these messages and still trying to continue with some research.  I am still in the Winston County area of MS.

Melissa

Leonard J. McCown

Jul 19, 2017, 11:56:07 AM7/19/17
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
image001.png

Leonard J. McCown

Jul 19, 2017, 11:56:50 AM7/19/17
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
image001.png

Ann Mcelhaney

Jul 19, 2017, 12:44:17 PM7/19/17
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Yipee!  Okay, I have a question.  Leonard, do you have your McCown haplo?  Could you share that and do we have the YDNA from one of you James McCown descendants? If so, could you share that and if we don’t have that, then there are a number of direct-line McCown males out there who could take that testing.

Thank you ,

ann mcelhaney

Leonard J. McCown

Jul 19, 2017, 5:40:02 PM7/19/17
to mcc...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ann,

R-MC01 is the Y-DNA.

Ok, James does not tell me much. Which James you mean. I think you are on the Alexander line, and I am Francis. I don’t know if we have a direct male from a James from Alexander. That might be a question you pose to this list. Leonard

image001.png

Leonard J. McCown

Jul 19, 2017, 6:13:52 PM7/19/17
to mcc...@googlegroups.com

Ann, I looked and see your line in my “Alexander” database. I think you mean Col. James McCown (1808-1852) and Elizabeth Harriett Greene.

I see by my chart that James Ross McCown is from this line, and he has done Y-DNA. I could send you his email. I have two from Alexander, but they are father and son. Leonard

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­

Leonard J. McCown, Irving, Texas -- McCown Family History

217 West 14th Street, Irving, Texas 75060-5903

972-254-7952

leo...@mccown.org -- http://www.mccown.org

People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to

their ancestors. -- Edmund Burke, 1790

image001.png

James McCown

Jul 19, 2017, 6:18:59 PM7/19/17
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
I've been following this conversation. Ann, what are you interested in about the Col James McCown/Elizabeth Greene line?

I recall you're the one who replaced Col James' damaged tombstone.

To post to this group, send email to

Ann Mcelhaney

Jul 19, 2017, 6:45:17 PM7/19/17
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, yes, James brother of Alexander who came to Texas round 1836 bought the town of Montgomery and lived in Harrison Co.  I'm the tombstone person!

Leonard, sorry that my description was less than helpful. Geeze, cause I know who your line is, I expected out of 200 folks or so you would know mine. Haha.  And I know someone took the YDNA test a few years back but there's that memory thing I share with you on certain occasions and I can't recall.  BTW as far as I know there is no "Col" in front of James name.  I don't know where that came from so I've opted to leave it off as I've never seen it in official documents.
I did find this attachment in an 1835 newspaper today.  Any idea what "mccown and conrow" are?  This was in an Alabama newspaper.

Ann Mcelhaney
annm...@aol.com

Negroes for sale.pdf

Leonard J. McCown

I've been following this conversation. Ann, what are you interested in about the Col James McCown/Elizabeth Greene line?

To post to this group, send email to

image001.png

Leonard J. McCown

Jul 20, 2017, 10:52:58 AM7/20/17
to mcc...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ann,

Yes, I had your line, but was not sure when I answered that email! Conroe – I wonder if it has anything to do with Elizabeth’s husband Charles M. Conroe? Maybe he was helping with the sale. In 1835, this would be after Sampson died, and maybe Margaret, the widow was preparing to move to Texas? I love the newspapers that are online. Just want and need more. I guess I will remove the Col., also. I thought perhaps it was one of those “honorary” titles.

So glad James answered you! Leonard

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­

Leonard J. McCown, Irving, Texas -- McCown Family History

217 West 14th Street, Irving, Texas 75060-5903

972-254-7952

leo...@mccown.org -- http://www.mccown.org

People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to

their ancestors. -- Edmund Burke, 1790

Sorry, yes, James brother of Alexander who came to Texas round 1836 bought the town of Montgomery and lived in Harrison Co.  I'm the tombstone person!

image001.png

James McCown

Jul 20, 2017, 11:24:45 AM7/20/17
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
I am James Ross McCown. Son of James Randolf McCown (1914-2001).

To post to this group, send email to

Leonard J. McCown

I am James Ross McCown. Son of James Randolf McCown (1914-2001).

To post to this group, send email to

image001.png

James McCown

Jul 20, 2017, 12:49:27 PM7/20/17
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
No, I wasn't there. I don't know James Walter.

To post to this group, send email to

Leonard J. McCown

No, I wasn't there. I don't know James Walter.

To post to this group, send email to

image001.png

James McCown

Jul 20, 2017, 12:54:18 PM7/20/17
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
I am in Oklahoma since 2004. Originally from Arlington TX

To post to this group, send email to

Leonard J. McCown

I am in Oklahoma since 2004. Originally from Arlington TX

To post to this group, send email to

image001.png

James McCown

Jul 20, 2017, 2:33:12 PM7/20/17
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
No. I go by James. Sometimes Jim.

To post to this group, send email to

Leonard J. McCown

Jul 20, 2017, 3:05:09 PM7/20/17
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Not a problem,  Leonard. I appreciate all your efforts on behalf of McCown geneology.

To post to this group, send email to