Data I have Collected on George McCown (For those who might be interested)

James W McCown

Feb 1, 2018, 11:18:27 AM2/1/18
to McCown Family History

George McCown (1710 Ireland- 1788 Pennsylvania)

The following facts were collected about George McCown of Colerain Township,

Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. George's father has been identified as Alexander

McCown of County Tyrone, Ireland. The only indication (found to date) as to George's

age was in the Lancaster County Tax Records, which added as a new entry in a 1778

list of taxables, was that he was over 50 years of age and it included both George (and

his brother Malcolm McCown). George had his name spelled as both McCown &

McKown on documents that were created during his time. George son John took the

spelling of McCune for his name and family. Records indicate the others cconsistentely

used the spelling McCown. George could not write his name because his will has his

mark and not a signiture.

His Father was Alexander McCown (as identified by Burr McCown his grandson)

Mother was: No Record has been found to date.

Born: No Record has been found to date.

George reportedly (as stated by Burr McCown his grandson) came to America with

five brothers in 1728 to escape persecution. His brothers are identified as John (who

settled in Virginia), Malcolm (who settled in Pennsylvania) & James, Alexander, and

Moses (who settled in South Carolina). They appeared to have all entered the British

colonies through Philadelphia, initially settling in or near Lancaster or West Chester

County in Pennsylvania. From this point we know that Moses, James, and Alexander

went to Camden District, Craven County, South Carolina; and John went to Calf Pasture,

Augusta County, Virginia; and that George and Malcolm stayed in Pennsylvania,

Lancaster County, Colerain Township on the boundary with Chester County.

Part of the Land that George lived on was initially given to James Harlan under a

Thomas Penn Grant. Part of the land they settled on in Pennsylvania was obtained from

James Wilson in 1746. As recorded in Philadelphia in Patent Book A, Volume 6, Page

291, Land was conveyed to James Harlan. James Harlan sold the Land to James

Wilson and his wife Elizabeth. On 17 & 18 April 1746 a percent this land was conveyed

to Alexander and Moses McCown. There may have been the other brothers also in this

land transaction, because on 4 December 1778, while in South Carolina, Alexander and

Moses transferred their interest in said property to George and his heirs. This transfer is

listed in the Deed book R, Volume 1 page 667 to 670, in Lancaster County

Pennsylvania. Those transferring their interest (for five shillings) in the land were

Alexander McCown, Alexanderʼs wife Elizabeth, Moses McCown, and his wife Frank

McCown in South Carolina, Camden District, in Craven County, signed the transfer. A

Joseph Miller, George Stringer, and Joseph McCown and John McCown signed as

witness's.

The place where George lived was in Colerain Township of South Eastern

Lancaster County, Pennsylvania along the division line with Chester County. The farm

must have been on the border between Chester and Lancaster County.

George was married by the Rev John Culbertson on 14 October 1751 to Janet

Kilpatrick in Octorara in Pennsylvania. There appears to have been a number of

Kilpatrick families in south West Chester County. Thier first child was a daughter named

Agnes, Baptized on 13 August 1752 as 12 years and 5 hours old by Rev. John

Culbertson ( I believe, his record of 12 years and 5 hours must be incorrect and should

have been 12 days and 5 hours). This information was found in "Register of Marriages

and Baptisms performed by Revernd John Cuthbertson, Convenanter Minister" (1751 to

1791, with Index to Locations and Persons Visited", By S. Helen Fields, Published by

Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1983, Baltimore, My, (L87-103). Rev. John

Culbertson would always stay with George when in the area.

George prepared his Last Will and Testament on 28 July 1778. He revised the will

on 4 August 1778 to add Alexander's 15 acres. The will was registered on 12 January

1779 by Malcolm (believed to be George's brother) and Sarah McCown (Malcolm's wife)

and indicated George as Deceased.

Other information found on George McCown:

Under the Thomas Penn Land Grant In Philadelphia in Patent Book A, Volume 6th, Page

291 James Harlan was deeded a piece of land. He Sold this to a James Wilson and his

wife Elizabeth, date unknown. They in turn sold it to the McCown's on 17 or 18 April

1746.

These facts were identified in the transfer of Alexander and Moses (from South Carolina)

interest to George and his heirs on 4 October 1778 as registered in Deed's in Lancaster

in 4 December 1778.

This April 1746 Date is the earliest date placing the McCown's in the Lancaster area.

However, the way things read they could have been there a number of years previous to

that date.

The following is a typed copy of the Photostat of the Last Will of George McKown:

IN THE NAME OF GOD, AMEN. The twenty-eight of July, One thousand seven hundred

and seventy eight. I, George McKown, of Colerian Township, Lancaster County and the

State of Pennsylvania, Yoeman, being very much sick and weak in body, but of perfect

Mind and Memory, thanks be given unto God, therefore calling unto mind the mortality of

my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die, do make and ordane

this my Last Will and Testament.

And first of all I give and recommend my soul unto God that gave it, and for my body

I recommend it to the Earth to be buried in a Christian like and decent manner at the

direction of my executors, and as touching such Worldly Estate wherewith it hath

pleased God bless me in this life, I give devise and despose of the same in the following

Manner.

First I give and bequeath to my beloved wife Cathreen one hundred pounds to be

paid in the following Manner. Viz. Six pounds a year and so on Yearly until the hole be

paid. But in case she dies before the payment of the whole sum the remainder I allow to

be paid to her daughter Margaret. & In case said Margaret dies before she becomes of

age it is to be divided amongst all the rest of my children, likewise the house and three

acres of land adjoining that I purchased from Robert Longhead as long as she remains

my widow, but if she Marries I also allow that the payment of six pounds a year be

stopped on the day of said marriage. I give to her child when of a age, Also a milk Cow

and one pair of good blankets, and one sheep, also a young colt that goes by the name

of Markens.

Then I give and bequeath my son John one Hundred Pounds above the rest. I ordain

that all my lands and Chattels be sold in eighteen months after my decease except the

house and three acres above mentioned and it be equally divided amongst John,

Joseph, and George when they have paid the following legacies. Viz: To Moses one

hundred pounds to be kept in John's hands or Alexander's which he has cause to live

with them. Jean two hundred pounds, a bed and bedding and a young Bay Mear. I

bequeath to Mary two hundred pounds, a bed and bedding and a black mare called

English, this money to be paid when they come of age.

I give and bequeath to Margaret one hundred pounds, a bed and bedding to be paid

in two years after my decease and put to intrest for her use. I give and bequeath to

James, John's son fifty pounds. Then I give and bequeath to Alexander's daughter Jean

one heafer with calf. And to Alexander one dolar. The last two sums to be paid out of

the last moneys that comes in of my effects. And in case any of the above mentioned

legatees dies without I fade. I take their legacies equally to be divided amongst the

survivors. I also will that my children give sufficient security unto my wife Cathreen for

her six pounds a year. I likewise constitute make and ordain my two sons John and

Alexander my only sole executors of this my last will and testament, and I do hereby

utterly disalow revoke and disannull all and ever other former testaments by me in any

wise ordained willed and bequeathed, ratifying and confirming this and no other to be my

last will and testament. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the

day and year above written. Before signing, I will firewood with the house and land unto

my wife.

Signed Sealed and Declared by the said George McKown as his last will and

testament on the absence of the subscribers Viz John Caldwell, Malcom McKown,

Sarah (Her Mark) McKown, Andrew (his mark) McGinnis.

George (his mark) McKown Seal

Carthran (her mark) McKown Seal

August the fourth, 1778. I also on after thought give and bequeath to my son

Alexander fifteen acres of land that I bought of James Longhead beginning at Wm.

Andersons line going along the great road unto James Longhead's line in breath and to

be run of on the south west side in length.

John Hubby at Lancaster County Pa. on the twelfth day of January Auno Domini

1779, before me the subscriber appeared Malcolm McKown and Sarah McCown two of

the subscribing witnesses to the forgoing writing and being duly Affirmed according to

same did declare and say that they were present and saw George McKown sign seal

publish pronounce and declare the foregoing writing and for his Last Will and Testament.

And at the same time published and declared the several signs wrote under the signing

Attesting as a part of his Will and that at the signing thereof he was of sound and

disposing mind, memory and understanding to the best of our belief,

(Signed) John Hubby

The following information was found about the McCowns from a book on the

"HISTORY OF CHESTER COUNTY PA."

1.On Page 169 in the West Caln Township Taxables for 1753 they list a William

McCown. This is along the border of Lancaster County or Sadsburry.

2.A Patrick McGowan was also listed on the Taxables in East Caln in 1753 on page 169.

3. In the West Fallowfield Township adjacent to the Lancaster County line on page 177

they list as residents Joseph Stringer, John Kilpatrick, Andrew Kilpatrick, and Joseph

Kilpatrick. This could be some of Janet's family that George Married into in 1751.

4. In the Kennet Township on page 179 and 180 they list out a William Dickenson's land,

a Michael Hardin and a James Hardin in the 1715 Taxables. Note: James Hardin Sold

Land to a James Wilson (from the Thomas Penn track) who in turn sold it to Alexander,

Moses, and George McCown in 1746, and later in 1779 Alexander and Moses deeded

their part of it over to George's Estate.

Under the Thomas Penn Land Grant In Philadelphia in Patent Book A, Volume 6th,

Page 291 James Harlan was deeded a piece of land. He Sold this to a James Wilson

and his wife Elizabeth, date unknown. They in turn sold it to the McCown's on 17 or 18

April 1746.

These facts were identified in the transfer of Alexander and Moses (from South Carolina)

interest to George and his heirs on 4 October 1778 as registered in Deed's in Lancaster

in 4 December 1778.

This April 1746 Date is the earliest date placing the McCown's in the Lancaster area.

However, the way things read they could have been there a number of years previous to

that date.

Shown Below is a copy of a Deed for transfer of Alexander & Moses McCownʼs

interest in the Plantation that they owned in partnership with George McCown in

Colerain Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania found on page 667 thru 670.

ALEXANDER & MOSES MCKOWN THIS INDENTURE, made the

TO twenty third day of December In GEORGE

MCKOWN the year of our Lord one thousand seven & seventy eight,

BETWEEN Alexander and Moses McCown of Camden District in the County of Cravon

in South Carolina, yoeman of the one part and George McKown of Colerain Township,

Lancaster County in Pennsylvania, yeoman on the other part.

WITNESSETH, That they the said Alexander & Moses McKown for & In consideration

of the sum of five shillings in current silver money to them In hand paid by him the

said George McKown the receipt whereof in hereby acknowledge here granted by

these presents do grant, bargain & sell unto him the said George McKown one

moiety part of that tract of land which as originally taken up by & did belong to a certain

James Harlan situate on Octoraro Creek (now in the Township of Oxford & Colrain)

part in Chester County & part in Lancaster County with the plantation thereon being the

same bounded and described as follows, viz. BEGINNING at a corner post standing

on the North side of Octoraro Creek aforesaid & near a small field (thus described In

the former deeds) being a corner of James Williamsonʼs lands & thence extending

South West two hundred & twenty nine parches to a post, thence by vacant land South

twenty seven degrees Easterly one hundred & twenty four parehas to a corner White

Oak; thence by the land of David Templeton & vacant lands North sixty three degrees

Easterly two hundred & seventeen parches to post, a corner James Wilsonʼs Land

aforesaid, thence by the same North twenty seven degrees Westerly one hundred &

ninety seven parches to the Place of BEGINNING. CONTAINING by estimation two

hundred & two acres & the usual allowances of six acres percent for roads &c, be it more

or less.

WITH ALL AND SINGULAR the buildings and improvements thereon & all woods,

underwoods, ways, waters, watercourses, easements, profits, commodities &

advantages whatsoever thereunto belonging and the reversions remainders, rents,

issues & profits thereof.

TO HAVE & TO HOLD the same plantation, tract of land & premises above mentioned

with the appurtenances unto him the said George McKown his heirs, exors, adms, &

assigns, from the day of the day of the date hereof for & during & unto the full end and

term of one hole year from thence next ensuing & fully to be complete & yielding &

paying thereof one peppercorn if demanded, to the intent that by virtue of these presents

& by force of the statute for transferring of uses into possession, he the said George

McKown may be in the actual possession of all singular the premises above mentioned

with the appurtenances, & may thereby be enabled to accept a grant & release of the

reversion & inheritance thereof to him & his heirs, to the only proper use & behoofs of

him the said George McKown, his heirs and assigns forever.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the said parties to these presents have interchangeably set

their hands & seals hereunto the day & year first above written.

Alexander McKown (SEAL)

Sealed & Delivered In the presence of us

her

Joseph Miller Josesph McKown Elizabeth X McCown (SEAL)

Mark

George Stringer Moses McCown (SEAL)

STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA, CAMDON DISTRICT: Personally came George

Stranger before me John Gaston one of the Justices of the Peace for the aforesaid

District, & made Oath that he saw Alexander McKown and Elizabeth McKown and

Moses sign, seal and deliver the within deed or Instrument of Writing for the

purpose. therein mentioned and that he saw Joseph Miller in Pennsylvania and Joseph

Miller in South Carolina set their names thereto as subscribing witness with himself.

Sworn before me on this twenty & fourth day of December, Anno Domin 1778

John Gaston J. P. George Stringer

PENNSYLVANIA, TO WIT: Before me William A, Esquire, one of the Justices Of

the Supreme Court of the State of Pennsylvania, personally appeared George Stringer

one of the subscribing witnesses to the execution of the within written Indenture & on

his Corporal Oath did despose & say that he was present & did see the within

named Alexander McKown & Elizabeth his wife & Moses McKown sign, seal and as

their act and deed deliver the within Indenture to & for the uses, Intents and purposes

therein mentioned that the name Gorge Stringer or there to subscribed as a witness to

the same is the name and hand writing of him the said deponent & that he also saw

Joseph Miller & Joseph McKown the other subscribing witnesses to the same Indenture

sign & subscriber their names as such. WITNESS my hand & seal the thirtieth

day of August in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred & seventy nine.

William. Atlee (SEAL)

Recorded the 10th December 1779. John Hutley, Recorder

ALEXR. & MOSES MCKOWN THIS INDENTURE, Made the

TO twenty fourth day of December in the GEORGE

MCKOWN year of our Lord one. thousand seven hundred & seventy eight

BETWEEN Alexander & Moses MCKOWN of Camdon District in Craven County &

Province of South Carolina of the one part, and George McKown of Colerain Township,

Lancaster County & Province of Pennsylvania, yeomen, of the other part.

WITNESSETH, That they, the said, Alexander & Moses McKown for & in consideration

of the sum of one hundred & fifty pounds to them in hand paid by the said George

McKown the receipt whereof they do hereby acknowledge & themselves therewith fully

satisfied & thereof do acquit and forever discharge him the said George McKown, his

heirs and anssigns, by these presents have granted, bargained, sold, aliened, released

& conferred and by these present, they do fully & absolutely grant, bargain, sell, alien,

release & confirmed to him the said George McKown..

( IN HIS ACTUAL POSSESSION now being & in his occupation for divers years past as

well as by virtue of a bargain & sale to him thereof made for one whole year by

Indenture bearing date the day next before the day of the date of these presents & by

force of the statute for transferring of uses into possession) & to his heirs & assigns, one

moiety or half part of that tract of land which is situate on Octoraro Creek and now

in the Township of Oxford & Colerain part In Chester County & part in the County of

Lancaster with the plantation, hereon being, the same being bounded & described in

the former deeds as follows, viz; BEGINNING at a corner post, standing on the north

side of Ootoraro Creek aforesaid and near a small field being also a corner of land late

of James Wilson being the other half of part of said tract & from thence extending

South west two hundred & twenty nine perches to a post thence by vacant land South

twenty seven degrees Easterly, one hundred & twenty four perches to a corner White

Oak. thence by land late David Tampletons & vacant land North sixty three degrees

Easterly two hundred & seventeen perches to a Post a corner of land late the aforesaid

James Wilsonʼs, thence by the same North twenty seven degrees Westerly one hundred

& ninety seven perches to the Place of BEGINNING. CONTAINING by estimation two

hundred and two acres and the usual allowances of six acres percent for roads to be it

more or less.

(BEING THE HALFPART of a tract of land which by Patent under the great seal of

Pennsylvania & under the hand Thomas Penn, one of the Preprimaries, bearing date at

Philadelphia day of the month called May, Anno Domini 1734, recorded in the

enrollment Office at Philadelphia in Patent Book A, Vol. 6th, Page 291, da., for the

consideration therein mentioned was granted and confirmed unto a certain James

Harlan for whom it had been before that time surveyed & subject to the yearly quitrent

of one English silver shilling for each hundred acres, and so in proportion for less

quantity as by reference paid to the said record thereof may appear.

AND THE AFORESAID James Halan did grant & confirm the same to the aforesaid

James Wilson & Elizabeth, his wife, and he the aforesaid James Wilson with Elizabeth,

his wife, by their indenture of lease & release bearing the date the seventieth &

eighteenth days Of the month called April, in the year of our Lord 1746, for the

consolidation therein mentioned did grant, release, convey, the moiety or half part of the

said original tract (the same which to hereby granted) to them the said Alexander &

Moses McKown to hold to them and their heirs & assigns forever, as by the said

Indentures doth fully appear.

TOGETHER WITH ALL AND SINGULAR the buildings, orchards, gardens, woods,

meadows, ways, waters, watercourse, improvements, rights liberties and

appurtenances, whatever thereunto belonging or in anywise appertaining and revisions,

remainder, issue, rents, & profits thereof and all the estate, right, title & interest of the

said Alexander & Moses McKown of, in & to the said bargained premises and all deeds,

writings, & evidences concerning the same or true copies of such to do had & taken at

the cost & charges of him the said George McKown, his heirs and assigns.

AND THE SAID Alexander & Moses McKown and their heirs the said plantation &

tract of land with the premises & appurtenances hereby granted unto him the said

George McKown his heirs & assigns, against them the said Alexander & Moses McKown

& their heirs and against All & every other person whatsoever lawfully claiming or to

claim by, from or under them or any of them shall & will warrant & forever defend by

these presents. AND FURTHER they the said Alexander & Moses McKown for

themselves and their heirs, do covenant, promise & grant to the said Gorge McKown,

his heirs and assigns, by these presents that the said Alexander & Moses McKown &

their heirs & all & every other person & persons claiming under them or either of them

any estate, title or interest, of, in or to the plantation, tract of land & premises hereby

granted or any part thereof shall and will at any time or times hereafter, at the

reasonable request, cost & charges of him the said George McKown, his heirs or

assigns, make, do, execute & acknowledge, or cause so to be done, all and ever such

further & other lawful & reasonable act & acts, deed & deeds, devices and assurances,

in law whatsoever for the further & better assuring & confirming the said plantation &

tract of two hundred & two acres of land, be it more or loss, with the premises &

appurtenances hereby granted unto his the said George McKown, his heirs & assigns,

as by him or them or his or their Council learned in the law, shall be devised, advised or

required reasonably so as assurance or confirmation contains no further or other warrant

for appointing the same is herein expressed or continued.

IN WITTINESS WHEREOF, the said parties to theses presents have interchangeably

set their hands & seals Dated the day & year first above written.. Alexander McKown

(SEAL)

Sealed & Delivered in the presenceʼs of us her

Elizabeth X McCown (SEAL)

mark

Joseph Miller George Stringer Moses McCown (SEAL)

Joseph McCown John McCown her

Frank X McCown (SEAL)

mark

STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA, CAMDEN DISTRICT: Personally came George

Stringer before me John Gaston, one of the Justices for the aforesaid District, and made

Oath that he saw Alexander McCown and his wife Elizabeth McCown and Moses

McCown sign, seal & deliver the within deed or instrument of Writing for the purpose

therein mentioned and that he saw Joseph Miller, in the State of Pennsylvania, and

Joseph McCown in the State of South Carolina set their names thereto as subscribing

Witnesses with himself. Sworn before on this twenty fourth day of December Anno

Domino 1778. Gorge Stringer

John Gaston, J. P.

PENNSYLVANIA, TO WTT: Before me William A. Atlee, Esquire, one of the

Justices of the Supreme Court of the State of Pennsylvania, personally appeared

George Stringer, one of the subscribing witnesses to the execution of the within written

indenture who being duly Sworn, on the Holy Evangelists of Almighty God, doth depose

and say, that he was present and did see the within named Alexander McCown and

Elizabeth, his wife, and Moses McCown sign, seal and as their act and deed deliver the

within Indenture to & for the use, intents & purpose therein mentioned THAT the named

George Stringer thereto subscribed as a witness to the same, is the name and hand

writing of him the said deponent, and that he also saw Joseph Miller and Joseph

McCown, two of the witnesses either subscribing witnesses to the execution of the

same Indenture sign & subscribe their names as such.

WITNESS my hand and seal the thirteenth day of August in the year of our Lord one

thousand seven hundred & seventy nine.

William Atlee (Seal)

Recorded 10th December, 1779 John Hubley, Recorder.

Leonard J. McCown

Feb 1, 2018, 11:27:46 AM2/1/18
to mcc...@googlegroups.com

Thanks James!

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­

Leonard J. McCown, Irving, Texas -- McCown Family History

217 West 14th Street, Irving, Texas 75060-5903

972-254-7952

leo...@mccown.org -- http://www.mccown.org

People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to

their ancestors. -- Edmund Burke, 1790

James McCown

Feb 1, 2018, 11:53:38 AM2/1/18
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for posting this info, James.

James McCown (another one, LOL)

ANN MCELHANEY

Feb 1, 2018, 3:18:47 PM2/1/18
to Apple Inc.
WOW this is fantastic!
Ann

Lisa Simpson-Luke

Feb 1, 2018, 3:42:15 PM2/1/18
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much for the information!  This is great!

Melissa Simpson Luke

Chris McCown

Feb 1, 2018, 3:44:21 PM2/1/18
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Is there documentation that shows he migrated from County Tyrone?

ANN MCELHANEY

Feb 12, 2018, 1:25:15 PM2/12/18
to Apple Inc.
I don’t know which “James” sent this great outline of the McCowns.  I was putting some of the info into my Tree and had occasion to be also looking in South Carolina at Wills from 1780-1783.  I found this will for a George McCown. . .geeze, even spelled correctly!  From the will I see that he has a wife named Tabitha and a brother named William.  The will was written on 1781.  Any idea who this George Mc might be the son of?????

Ann Warren McElhaney

James McCown

Feb 12, 2018, 2:52:43 PM2/12/18
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Moses McCown (born 1720 Ireland- died 11 Feb 1784 in Chester County, South Carolina) (a brother of George McCown) was married to a Frank had son's named John, George, James, Malcolm, Alexander, & William & a daughter Mary.
James W. McCown

Here is what I collected on Moses McCown:
MOSES MCCOWN OF SOUTH CAROLINA
        Moses McCown and Alexander McCown of the Camden District of the County of Craven, South Carolina were the Brothers of George McCown of Colrain Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.  They were in Pennsylvania in the 1740 time period prior to going to South Carolona.  Moses  McCown's wife name was Frank McCown.
         Moses McCown settled along Fishing Creek.  His daughter Mary McCown married a "Hopping" John Miller (born 1754, died 20 July 1818) in 1782, she lived to be 94 years old.  They had three sons.  John Miller was one of the witnesses that signed the deed that transfered the interest that Moses and Alexander McCown (then in South Carolina) owned in the farm that George McCown their brother and they owned together in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
          The following information was found about Moses McCown, written by Miller Weir:
The Revolutionary Services of Moses McCown of Fishing Creek, South Carolina
          "When on a visit to Chester, South Carolina, I obtained a great deal of information in reguard to Moses (the Ferocious) McCown.  Samuel Thomas McCown, a prominent citizen of Chester, is a descendant of Moses McCown."
         "Moses McCown appears to have been a "Bad man from Fishing Creek."  a good man for the Tories and Hessians to let alone.  At the same time a Christian of most honest convictions.  He had enough sons (seven) to undertake most anything, and I think there was nothing he would not undertake for the American cause.  He hated the Tories and Hessins with the most intensely healthy hatred, the only good ones were dead ones.  The depredations of the Hessions justified his hatred and efforts to rid the county of them.  He was known as "death to Hessians".  In superlative expression, it was said that "Moses McCown had to be locked up to keep him from killing Tories and Hessians during the Revolution."  One of the incidents are as follows: At that time the Hessians were doing great damage in that part of the country.  Moses McCown was appointed local Provost Marshall:  He and his seven sons, captured a little squad of Hessians ( the number not now known ) and took them home and locked them in the "smoke house."  Moses then went and had family prayers, he being a most devout as well as determined man.  After reading a chapter in the Bible and offering a prayer, his mind appears to have been made up and he wen out and told the Hessians to prepare to meet their maker.  As, when the hour arrived that spirits left the earth their souls would go home.  As the day dawned he lined the Hessians up and said to his sons, "My sons thrust through" and his sons thrust them through and their souls went home."
         "Moses McCown was the father of Mary McCown, who became the wife of Revolutionary Soldier John Miller.  The grave of Moses McCown is on a hill in Chester County near Chester, South Carolina.  His Revolutionary record is well known and remembered in Chester County. "
        "See "Stub Entries to Indents Issued in Payment of Claims Against South Carolina, growing out of the Revolution."  Edited by A. S. Salley, Jr. Secretary of the Historical Commission of South Carolina, Columbia, SC No. 285, Book L, page 46.  Issued 13th October 1784, to Moses McCown for thirteen pounds five shillings and eight pence,  half penny sterling for 93 days militia duty as per account audited."
          David Weir, and his son William and Moses McCown and his son in law John Miller certainly rendered an honorable account of themselves during the Revolutionary War, and should be given their place among American patrios."
FACT SHEET ON MOSES MCCOWN  IN SOUTH CAROLINA
1. In Chester County Deed Book, page 107 an Indenture was made 5 July 1784 between  Moses McCown and Frank his wife of Camden District, South Carolina, Planter of one  part and James McCown Jr. and Mary McCown, Planters of the other part whereas by  two certain grant, granted the one for 200 acers granted unto James McCown Sr. the said  land being on the conjunction of the Catawba River and the mouth of Fishing Creek was  granted formerly to James Bradley.  Witness:  David Hunter,  Hugh Waters.   Signed:  Moses McCown, Frank (X) McCown
2. In Chester County Deed Book B, page 110,  This indenture made 4 July 1784 between Moses McCown and Frank McCown, his wife of Camden District of one part and James McCown and Mary McCown of this district of the other part.  Witnessed that the said Moses McCown and Frank his wife for the sum of five shillings sterling paid by James McCown and Mary McCown doth sell unto said James McCown and Mary McCown two plantations of land containing 400 acres, the same being held by two origonal grants each containing 200 acres one was originally granted to James McCown Sr. and was conveyed from said James McCown Sr. to said Moses McCown situate on waters of Fishing Creek and Catawba River joining land formerly granted to James Bradley other 200 acres of land of aforsaid lying on Fishing Creek about two miles up said creek from the river, other ajoining land of Alexander McCown origonal McCown.  Witness:  David Hunter, Hugh McCown.  Signed Moses McCown, & Frank (X) McCown.
3. In Chester County Deed Book B  page 493.   This indenture made between Henry Hunter, Sheriff of Camden District and John Ellison of the same district, dated 1 March 1789.  Witnesseth that Moses McCown of the same district was seized in his demese and charged with the unlawful taking and carrying away the goods and chattels which were Robert King's, deceased during his lifetime.  Whereas Henry King as adminstrator of the estate of Robert King, desaeased did recieve from the court of common pleas a judgement of 43 pounds from the said Moses McCown.  The said sherif to take the land and 10 shillings and 8 pence belonging to Moses McCown and sell at public outcray.  The land is 200 acres on Fishing Creek ajoining on east by land of John Linluy, on the south by Joseph Kershaw, Esq., on the west by vacant land, on the north by John Lennard's land.  Sale held on the __ day of August last past,  John Ellison being the hightest bidder of the sum of 50 pounds.  Witnesses: John Brevard, John McGee, John Simmison.  Signed:  Henry Hunter, Sheriff C.D.  Seal.   Attested to Bef.  James Kershaw,  J.P. by Joseph Brevard, 2 March 1789.
NOTE:  In the above tranaction deed we see that James McCown Sr. transfered some land to Moses & Frank McCown and then they transfered it to James McCown and Mary McCown on 4 July 1784, and that this land was adjoining the origonal Alexander McCown land.  This was Witnessed by Hugh McCown

      DAR Patriot Index Centennial Edition Part II G-O Shows A Moses McCown Who was born in Irland as a Private In The Rev Army from South Carolina. It shows he was married to a Mary ( last name unknown) and died on 11-2-84.
      Daughters Of the American Revolution Vol 72 DAR Lineage Book Page 168:
Mrs. Fanita Weir Brockhouse  71467
Born in Jacksonville, Ill.
Wife of Edward P. Brockhouse.
Descendant of David Weir, William Weir, John Miller, Moses McCowen, and Lieut. Samuel Bancroft.
Daughter of Miller Weir (b. 1859) and Fannie Bancroft (b. 1858), his wife, m. 1882.
Granddaughter  of Edward Rumsey Weir (1816-91) and Harriet Rumsey Miller (1822-1913), his wife, m. 1838; Horace Bancroft (1817-96) and Elizabeth Root (b. 1830) his 2nd wife, m. 1856.
Gr-granddaughter of James Weir (1777-k1845) and Ann C. Rumsey (1792-1838), his wife, m. 1814; Samuel Augustus Miller (1788-1823), and Harriet Rumsey, his wife, m. 1818;Samuel Bancroft, Jr. (1777-1864), and Sallie Hosmer, his wife, 1804.
Gr-gr-granddaughter of William Weir and Susannah Miller, his wife; John Miller and Mary McCowen, his wife; Samuel  Bancroft and Jerusha Foot, his wife, m. 1760.
Gr-gr-gr-granddaughter of David Weir and Jennie -----, his wife; Moses McCowen and Mary ---, his wife.
David Weir (1730-1821) served as a private at the battle of Cowpens.  He was born in Antrim, Ireland; died at Fishing Creek, S. C.
William Weir (1752-1800) served as private in Colonel Sumter’s South Carolina brigade.  He was born in Ireland; died in Paradise, Ky.
John Miller was allowed a pension on claim executed, 1818, for service as sergeant in Capt. William Brown’s company, Col. Thomas Sumter’s South Carolina regiment.  He was born in Ireland; died at Fishing Creek, S. C.
Moses McCowen was a local provost-marshal of South Carolina.  He came to Fishing Creek, S. C., 1772 from Ireland, where he was born.  He died in South Carolina.
Samuel Bancroft (1737-1830) was lieutenant in Captain Simon’s company, Col. Erastus Wolcott’s regiment. He was born in Connecticut; died in East Windsor.

Name: Moses McCown
Gender: M (Male)
State: South Carolina
County: Camden District
Town: Between Broad and Catawba Rivers
Residence Year: 1780
Household Remarks: He is on the Petit Jury List for the "District of Camden" [name found on the reverse side of page 9].