Some McCown records in Ulster

Chris McCown

Aug 22, 2013, 1:50:52 PM8/22/13
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
I found this information on the web.

The Muster Rolls of the Ulster Army of 1642
FHL 0897012 (from J.C.G.)

p. 42-43 Regiment of Sir James Montgomery, Knt & Collonell
under
Hugh Cochran, Lt. Col., mustered at Portaferry, 22 Apr 1642 includes:
Alexander M'Cowne.
p. 45 Company of Samuel Montgomery, Capt., mustered at
Portaferry,
22 Apr 1642 includes James Mackcowne.
p. 48 Company of Archibald Wardlaw, Capt., mustered at
Portaferry,
22 Apr 1642 includes John Gowne, John Conne, James M'Conne.
p. 50 Company of Colin Wachap, Capt., mustered at Bishopscourt,
22
Apr 1642 includes John M'Cowin.
p.64-65 Regiment of foote Co. under Lt. Col. Hugh Montgomery
under
Hugh Visct. Montgomery of the Ardes, Colonell, mustered at Cumber
(Comber)

There more of them in the list…

Even though these names are grouped with Colquhouns by whoever put it together, I would like to point out that genetically, McCowns are not Colquhouns.  I have found the Cowans that are a genetic match with Colqhouns( it's just not us ).  In any case, those names above look a lot like those that showed up in America 80 odd years later.

James McCown

Aug 22, 2013, 2:21:28 PM8/22/13
to mcc...@googlegroups.com

Very interesting, Chris.  BTW, which line of the McCown family are you descended from?

Chris McCown

Aug 22, 2013, 6:45:40 PM8/22/13
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Here is a link from higher up in the chain that has more information…

I descend from Francis.

Chris McCown

Aug 22, 2013, 6:47:14 PM8/22/13
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Might as well include this link to provide historical context…