McCown Y-DNA STRs

Chris

Aug 17, 2013, 4:51:22 PM8/17/13
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Dear McCowns,

I have discovered what appears to be a way to discern the descendants of Francis from Alexander( 6 sons ) via 111 marker Y-DNA.   There are two off modal markers for the ALL descendants of Francis that are different from the only kit for a descendant of George( son of Alexander ).  The George kit also has a unique off modal marker that is different from all of the Francis kits.   So that's three different markers that appear to differentiate the two lines at 111 markers.   I'm not going to post those STR differences on this forum, but you can email me for more details.   We need 111 marker testers from other descendants of Alexander( preferably from a son other than George ) to cross validate.  I might even be willing to sponsor this test if you don't want to pay for it.  First come, first serve.

Chris

James W. McCown

Aug 17, 2013, 5:23:36 PM8/17/13
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Chris I am a descendant of George. I will order it and pay for it in the fall whenI get home. FYI. I am a perfect 67 DNA match with a John Cook who is a descendent of Ellis Cook of England in abt 1600. which statistically says we should have a common ancestor in about 1500 to1600 . I do not know how this fits. Our families have not lived close at all in America.
James W. McCown

Sent from my iPad

Chris McCown

Aug 17, 2013, 6:57:06 PM8/17/13
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks James,

It would still be great to test a McCown whose line descends from one of the other sons of Alexander… and I'm still willing to pay for a test for a known descendant of one of the other 6 sons.

Chris