Shenandoah Valley

Jim

Oct 1, 2016, 8:19:45 PM10/1/16
to McCown Family History
I am pondering a trip to the Shenandoah Valley this spring, to see the place where our UlsterScot ancestors once lived.

Three questions:

(1) Do any of you currently live in the area, or have lived there in the past?

(2) Have any of you toured the area?

(3) If any of you have lived or toured the Shenandoah Vallley, is there anything to see there of an historical nature? Especially anything of the 18th century?

Thanks.

Ann Mcelhaney

Oct 1, 2016, 8:52:46 PM10/1/16
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
No, no and no, but that sounds wonderful!  Send your itinerary when you get it figured out. I envy u.  Is this Jim from OK?

Ann Mcelhaney
annm...@aol.com

James McCown

Oct 1, 2016, 9:19:23 PM10/1/16
to mcc...@googlegroups.com

Yes. This is Jim from Oklahoma.  Are you still in Austin?

On Oct 1, 2016 7:52 PM, "'Ann Mcelhaney' via McCown Family History" <mcc...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
No, no and no, but that sounds wonderful!  Send your itinerary when you get it figured out. I envy u.  Is this Jim from OK?

Ann Mcelhaney
annm...@aol.com

Ann Mcelhaney

Oct 1, 2016, 11:02:47 PM10/1/16
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Yes, in Austin.  Getting too old to go far!  Not really the age as much as it is the back. . .so awful not to be able to do things.  I hate this.  Sitting is good, but there's lots I need and want to do.

Hope you are doing well.  I'd like to try to get to Marshall this summer. I haven't been since we dedicated James new grave marker.

Ann McElhaney

Mic Barnette

Oct 2, 2016, 11:45:37 AM10/2/16
to McCown Family History
Hi Jim:

There is a place near  Staunton, VA that would be right up to your request.
Frontier Museum......      http://www.frontiermuseum.org/

It is an interpretive outdoor type museum and has several working farms/homesteads.
One  is Scots-Irish, one German, one English and some Native American and African American
Basically something ethnically for everyone.

You might wish to come to Dallas Oct 28-30 for the Texas State Genealogical Society Conference
Personally, I will be doing 2 talks-one on DNA and the other on using supplenetal Census Scedules.
There are several other dna talks and a whole lot more, as well.

Have a great trip to VA

Jim

Oct 2, 2016, 11:59:00 AM10/2/16
to McCown Family History
Thanks, Mic. Thats exactly the type of place I'd like to see in Virginia. I was planning to visit Staunton whilst I'm there and that looks like a good tour.

It looks similar to the Ulster American Folk Park in Northern Ireland that I toured a few years ago.

Leonard J. McCown

Oct 2, 2016, 1:40:45 PM10/2/16
to mcc...@googlegroups.com

I was there several years ago, but traveling through, so only managed to hit the courthouse. We even missed the Natural Bridge! You should be able to Google that area and find some good things to see. I am sorry that I was not prepared for our trip, but that was before Google (my excuse). Leonard

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­

Leonard J. McCown, Irving, Texas -- McCown Family History

217 West 14th Street, Irving, Texas 75060-5903

972-254-7952

leo...@mccown.org -- http://www.mccown.org

People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to

their ancestors. -- Edmund Burke, 1790

Oct 2, 2016, 2:03:20 PM10/2/16
to mcc...@googlegroups.com

Jim,

This is wonderful country.    It has been a couple of decades since I was rummaging through old court houses and stalking McCowns in cemetaries, but from my recollections:

·        The fundamental background for McCowns in the Shanandoah can be found in Chalkley’s three volumes  Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia.  This is comprised of entries from the records of the County Court of Augusta, initially an enormous county in western Virginia with a county seat in Staunton.   I believe that it has been reprinted and can be found online at http://rootsweb.ancestry.com/~chalkley/.   Decades ago I, as well as others in the group I am sure, worked our way through its fairly complete index searching out court cases and other legal documents relating to McCowns – giving locations and relationships of a very large group of our kin.

·        Perhaps the most relevant area for McCowns would be south of Stanton around Lexington, VA.   This was the center of the Borden Tract, encompassing what is now Rockbridge County, VA

·        Lexington is a small pleasant college town, home to Washington and Lee College and the Virginia Military Academy.  [I believe that a McCown was a lawyer involved in founding Washington College.]  It is near the birthplace of Sam Houston.  The New Monmouth Presbyterian Church is central to, what has been called the Scotch-Irish, settlement of the area and perhaps to McCown history.   There is (again perhaps) one McCown buried in the cemetery besides the current church, but the old cemetery is believe to be filled with McCowns.   My memory is somewhat faded here but when I was last there the old New Monmouth cemetery was overgrown and tombstones were hard to find/read.    Records show McCowns lived in Kerr Creek outside of town, and I recall being told that they were some still there.   I have traced the families here in the 18th century for enough generations that I am persuaded that they are not in my line – although there are some for whom I was unable to find forward links.

·        Oren F.Morton’s A History of Rockbridge County, Virginia may be useful.  It appears to be a free Google Book.  I used several others that do not come to mind right away.

·        The best place to begin looking for McCowns in and around Lexington is probably, or at least was three or four decades ago, on a visit to the Rockbridge Historical Society.

·        I have searched other courthouse records around the area.  I particularly liked Fincastle to the south of Lexington.  A very small, charming, court house which used to serve a county that may have streached to the Great Lakes – I may exaggerate but not by much.   I found the McCown material in which I was interested, although it did not help my genealogical search.   I had not expected to find the original document deeding natural bridge to Thomas Jefferson in a drawer in a back room.

·        Lexington is also famous for its speed trap.   The severity of its citation is related to the car/driver residing in or out of state – residence in the latter requires a court appearance, advisably with a local lawyer.   Court proceedings themselves have the sensitivity and objectivity of Judge Roy Bean ‘s court.     The Mid-Atlantic Region of the Clan MacDougall Society of North America has declined to attend any Scottish activity in the town before appropriate heads appear on pikes before the city gates.

I will add more as it arises in my aging brain.

Leis gach deagh dhùrachd

Tòmas

Tòmas MacCòmhghan // Thomas Ashby McCown

Chris McCown

Oct 2, 2016, 11:03:33 PM10/2/16
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
You can go to the Rockbridge Historical Society and see an old McCown deed from 1750.

http://www.rockhist.org/

"Borden Grant – Another recent acquisition, and a prized piece in the Society’s collection, is the original deed from Benjamin Borden to the McCown family in 1750."

Chris

Thomas Ashby McCown

Oct 2, 2016, 11:15:41 PM10/2/16
to mcc...@googlegroups.com

Chris McCown

Oct 2, 2016, 11:25:19 PM10/2/16
to mcc...@googlegroups.com

Here are couple of interesting links I’ve found over the years if you want to visit.

Francis McCown was at the Massacre of Balcony Downs:  http://leomcdowell.tripod.com/id32.htm

Malcolm McCown was one of the four people that killed Chief Cornstalk and his son at Ft Randolph:  http://mornstarz.blogspot.com/2008/04/2-1-1.html

Chris

Thomas Ashby McCown

Oct 3, 2016, 12:13:25 AM10/3/16
to mcc...@googlegroups.com

Chris,

You, as so many, defame Malcolm.   And deep shame should be on you.  These were clearly Trumped up charges.   The Virginia prosecution could not produce a single witness in this case and it was dismissed.

The gentle Malcolm, along with (I believe) Capt Hill, was released to the adulation of many.

Ashby

Lisa Simpson Luke

Oct 3, 2016, 8:30:52 AM10/3/16
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much, Ashby! That's wonderful information. I've never been there, but would love to go take a look.

Melissa

Oct 3, 2016, 10:37:58 AM10/3/16
to mcc...@googlegroups.com

In this day and age I need to note that the comments below were written as extreme sarcasm.

Leonard J. McCown

Oct 3, 2016, 10:44:29 AM10/3/16
to mcc...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Chris.

This Malcom was the son of John and Agnes McCown, not the Malcom, son of Francis and Margaret.

Leonard

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­

Leonard J. McCown, Irving, Texas -- McCown Family History

217 West 14th Street, Irving, Texas 75060-5903

972-254-7952

leo...@mccown.org -- http://www.mccown.org

People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to

their ancestors. -- Edmund Burke, 1790

Here are couple of interesting links I’ve found over the years if you want to visit.

Chris McCown

Oct 3, 2016, 11:19:30 AM10/3/16
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Ashby, that’s what emoticons and memes are for. :)