Ir al primer mensaje no leído

Jim

no leída,
23 feb 2014, 10:26:34 p.m.23/2/14
para mcc...@googlegroups.com
Are any of you familiar with the autosomal DNA test being administered on ancestry.com?

One of my cousins is asking me to take this test. Is this worthwhile?

Thanks,

James Ross McCown
Oklahoma

George Stuart

no leída,
23 feb 2014, 11:00:47 p.m.23/2/14
para mcc...@googlegroups.com

Jim,

My grandmother was a McCown. We can trace her back to Francis McCown in old Augusta County, VA in the mid 1700s.

I have done three DNA tests. I first did the FTDNA Y-DNA test which only tests the paternal line (in my case Stewart/Stuart). This pinpointed which Stewart/Stuart families (that have tested) that I could be closely related to. It helped me by eliminating some lines from my search and helping me narrow the search for my paternal ancestors.

I have also tested at 23andMe and at AncestryDNA which tests both your paternal and maternal DNA. An autosomal test can help you match others who may have a kinship with you through your various female lines. I have connected with many who we can pinpoint a common ancestor other than my Stuarts. I also match many with whom we cannot say where that connection may be.

I started autosomal tests at the request of one of my female Stuart cousins. We had hoped that we could examine common matches and find our last known Stuart ancestor's mother's family. We have several other Stuart cousins (male and female) who have joined in the effort but so far nothing definite.

IMHO - do it!

The potential is worth it.

George Stuart

Mic Barnette

no leída,
23 feb 2014, 11:12:56 p.m.23/2/14
para mcc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim:

Anyone who is serious about using dna should take the Family Finder test
(autosomal)
I suggest taking your test through Family Tree DNA first. Later you
might wish to take the Ancestry autosomal test.

For one thing, you and I are related, but, your surname is McCown and
mine Barnett.
Through autosomal dna (Family Finder) we may/may not match.
I say we might not show as matches because our connection is so far back.
The closer related we might be the more likely we would show as a match.

In autosomal testing you get 50% of your autosomal dna from you father
and 50% from you mother.
Simply put, you get 25% of your dna from each grandparent
12.5% from each great grandparent
6.25% from each GG grandparent
3.125% from each GGG grandparent
and so forth.
By 5-6 generations you are not getting much from any particular G+
grandparent

Ann McElhaney a descendant of James McCown b 1808 and I , a descendant
of his brother Sampson McCown (b 1816) match as 5th Cousins or so.
The fact we are so far related it is surprising we show a match but we do.

I am not sure how many McCown descendants of our line there are in the
Family Finder database but you potentially could match with any of us.

MIC

Chris McCown

no leída,
24 feb 2014, 1:38:07 p.m.24/2/14
para mcc...@googlegroups.com
I have taken autosomal tests with both FTDNA and 23andMe.

I have yet to match anyone with the McCown surname via autosomal results because other McCowns that have tested are likely more than 5 or 6 generations away from me.  However, someone that I matched noticed that Parks was in my list of surnames and he was able to inform of me a line back to Charlemagne( so you never know what you’ll learn ).  23andMe.com had some more interesting ethnic mix tools and a neat cousin surname-concentration chart.   23andMe also provides your health genes but the FDA is currently hounding them on what health related genes that they can show you.  Hopefully, they will be able to show new testers their health results soon.  Another company called promethease has picked up the slack.  For $5 you can upload your 23andMe data and they will generate a health report for you.  https://promethease.com/ondemandagreed

No matter where you take your test, you can upload it to gedmatch.com and use some of their tools to compare to people from other companies.

Chris

aspen_ds

no leída,
24 feb 2014, 2:22:14 p.m.24/2/14
para mcc...@googlegroups.com,mcc...@googlegroups.com
Hello all, does the testing have to be with a male in the lineage?  Is so, this may be my brothers' birthday presents this year 😊
Thanks,
Joni

Blessings,

James McCown

no leída,
24 feb 2014, 2:57:21 p.m.24/2/14
para mcc...@googlegroups.com

Y-dna tests only for men. Autosomal or mitochondrial will work for both men and women.

George Stuart

no leída,
24 feb 2014, 9:02:49 p.m.24/2/14
para mcc...@googlegroups.com

Chris,

Have we shared on 23andMe?

My McCown line:

Francis McCown (abt 1710, Ireland/bef 1761, VA) & Margaret Patterson

James McCown & Jane Patton (?)

Francis McCown & Nancy Swinney

William McCown & Mary Vaughn   ------> son John William McCown married Nancy Parks

William Organ McCown & Frances Turner

William Alexander McCown & Martha Miller

Emma Lee McCown & William Rett Stuart (my grandparents)

My McCowns ended up along the Winston & Neshoba County line in Mississippi by the 1850s.

There was/is a Parks family there that has intermarried several times with my various families from that area but as far as I know I do not have direct Parks ancestors.

George Stuart

aspen_ds

no leída,
17 mar 2014, 8:16:25 p.m.17/3/14
para mcc...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,
Just wanted to let you know that LivingSocial just sent a special price for DNA testing:

details

Everyone has a story written into their DNA, even if we don't know exactly how it begins. Uncover the early chapters of your past and compare the results with modern-day populations with this deal from AncestrybyDNA:

• $99 ($249 value) for a DNA WorldView test
• Celebrate your origin with a personalized ancestry test certificate
• Includes a detailed online manual to explain and interpret your results

Discover Your Ancestry
Simply swab the inside of your cheek and send it in for analysis. The DNA sample will be tested for your ancestral makeup based on your chromosomes, and you'll receive results of your unique ancestry -- instead of basic information based on your parental lines. Ancestral origins will be quantified in percentages across four population groups: Indigenous American, European, East Asian, and Sub-Saharan African. After your results are in, your unique DNA signature is compared to global regions to see how modern-day migration has impacted your ancestral results.

AncestrybyDNA's Website

PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON March 17, 2019

PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON June 27, 2014

Mic Barnette

no leída,
17 mar 2014, 9:23:06 p.m.17/3/14
para mcc...@googlegroups.com
Several of us are on Family Tree DNA already where we have taken the Family Finder test which is an autosomal dna test, the same as Ancestrydna.
The price of the Family Finder test  is $99

MIC

Responder a todos
Responder al autor
Reenviar