Possible Francis McCown Ship? - Walpoole from Lough Swilly

Chris McCown

Sep 19, 2013, 11:25:45 PM9/19/13
to mcc...@googlegroups.com

I wonder if this could be how Francis got to America.

James Patton and Beverley Manor
James Patton was born at Limavady in 1692.  He became a ship's captain and, after his employers in Kirkcudbright, Scotland, failed in 1730, Walter Lutwidge, a merchant in Whitehaven, England, "brought him out of his scrapes" and gave him command of one of his ships in the Chesapeake tobacco trade.  On one of his voyages to Virginia, Patton became acquainted with William Beverley.  In August 1737 Beverley wrote Patton offering him a share in the land he patented with Tayloe and Lee:  "I am willing you should hold one quarter part of it being at one ¼ pt of all ye charges & doing your utmost endeavour to procure families to come in & settle it."  He explained that "we all three propose to make money of the Land & to that end I propose to hold it undivided & to sell out & make ye most we can of it, unless either of us shou’d have a mind to make a settlement there for our own use & then we might have what we have occasion for laid off & appropriated for ye purpose." Patton’s role was made clearer in another letter.  "I should be very glad if you could import families enough to take the whole off from our hands at a reasonable price and tho’ the order mentions families from Pensilvania, yet families from Ireland will do as well."

On his return, Patton recruited emigrants, notably his brother-in-law John Preston, a ship's carpenter in Londonderry.  He sailed from Whitehaven in Lutwidge's ship Walpoole on March 16, 1738.  The ship lay some weeks at Dublin, taking on passengers and indentured servants, and then sailed for Lough Swilly, where most of the emigrants came on board.  The Walpoole sailed up the Potomac River and landed 65 passengers with their baggage and merchandise for Lutwidge's factors on August 25, 1738.  Patton kept the ship in Virginia over the winter, contrary to Lutwidge’s orders, and sailed for home with a cargo of tobacco in April 1739.

In the meantime, Patton had taken his settlers to the Shenandoah Valley with provisions to keep them over the winter.  Lutwidge was livid when he learned what had happened.  "Of all ye Knaves I ever met with, Patton has out don them all . . . . He charged no less than 6,000 lbs of fresh Beefe in Virginia, 40 barrels Indian corn and everything else in proportion, took 15 servants to himself at a clap.  In short, Hell itself can't outdo him."

John Lewis welcomed Patton’s Ulster emigrants as well as others who came south from Pennsylvania and Maryland.  Beverley granted Lewis 2,000 acres near the present city of Staunton in consideration of "the extraordinary trouble of his house and charges in entertaining those who came to settle on Beverley Mannor." John Trimble, William Cathey, William King and other early settlers bought the land where they lived from Beverley in 1738-1739.  Between 1738 and 1744 Colonel Beverley sold 47,366 acres to 94 purchasers.

Borden Grant in Rockbridge County
With so many Scotch-Irish pioneers moving up the Valley, other land speculators kept one step ahead of them.  In 1739 Benjamin Borden, a New Jersey Quaker, received a grant beginning at the southern boundary of Beverley Manor.  Borden was promised 1,000 acres for every settler he located, amounting in all to 92,000 acres.  John McDowell, a surveyor, helped Borden locate his tract and was rewarded with a large acreage.  The Borden tract later became Rockbridge County.

Jim

Sep 20, 2013, 12:14:09 AM9/20/13
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Was Francis known to have lived in the Londonderry & Lough Swilly area?

Chris McCown

Sep 20, 2013, 12:17:26 AM9/20/13
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Nobody knows.  For some reason many places on the internet claim that he entered into America via Philadelphia.  I'm not sure if he did or not.

aspen_ds

Sep 20, 2013, 12:30:38 AM9/20/13
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
so, grasping at Internet straws ... guess there could be a link to Londonderry ...
Posted by: Stan McCown Date: February 18, 2001 at 15:09:38

As a side note to this Cornstalk/Malcolm McCown episode,and maybe Leonard will have a thought on this, I've been looking at naming patterns and the close relationship between the Gilmores and John McCown's family and now suspect that the wife of John McCown--
father of Malcolm who was in on killing Cornstalk--may have been an Agnes Gilmore. The act that precipitated the killing of Cornstalk was the finding of a Gilmore, across the river from the fort, apparently killed by Shawnees. If the above speculation is true, this Gilmore wasn't just a friend of Malcolm McCown, he was a cousin.

The importance of this is that the Gilmores came from Londonderry and if John McCown was married to a Gilmore, it adds one more set of information to investigate in Northern Ireland, looking for the origin of the McCowns. Anybody have any thoughts or information about this?

Chris McCown

Sep 20, 2013, 12:37:58 AM9/20/13
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
grasping at more straws there was a John McCowan at the famous battle of Londonderry.

aspen_ds

Sep 20, 2013, 1:06:14 AM9/20/13
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Property19 Apr 1746Augusta Co., VA``19th April, 1746. Francis McCowen (mark), farmer, to Wm.
Bell, farmer, �55 current money Virginia; 196-1/2 acres in Beverley Manor;
Seth Poag's line; John Lewis' line. Witnesses, Jno. Buchanan, Joseph
Culton, Silas Hart, James Trimble. Acknowledged, 18th June, 1746.
Francis (his mark) McCown.
Commission to John Anderson, Andrew Pickens, and Richard
Woods to take deposition of Margaret, wife of Francis McCown.
Francis McCune's wife Margaret releases her dower 18th

Leonard J. McCown

Sep 20, 2013, 7:14:08 AM9/20/13

Date: February 18, 2001 at 15:09:38

278 of 724

Leonard J. McCown

Sep 20, 2013, 10:57:26 AM9/20/13
to mcc...@googlegroups.com

Leonard J. McCown, Irving, Texas -- McCown Family History

leo...@mccown.org -- http://www.mccown.org

People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to

their ancestors. -- Edmund Burke, 1790

Leonard J. McCown

Sep 20, 2013, 11:00:27 AM9/20/13
to mcc...@googlegroups.com

This we have a reference for on Francis. HOWEVER, I wonder about the wife’s name. When I wrote several years ago to Orange Co., VA, the particular order book had been recopied and the original destroyed. I have always wondered if perhaps her name had been abbreviated to Magt., or Margt., and the one copying changed it.

     "At a Court held for Orange County [Virginia] on Thursday the 24th day of July, 1740 . . . Francis McCowin came into Court and Made oath that he imported himself Mary his Wife Mackham & Elizabeth McCowin from Ireland to philadelphia & from thence into this Colony at his own charge & that this is the first time of his proving his & their right in order to obtain Land wch is ordered to be certified." [Orange Co., Va. Order Books 2:207]