Matching Mic

Mic Barnette

Jun 15, 2014, 6:01:45 PM6/15/14
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim:

I spent quite a bit of time doing some comparisons, etc of data. and you will like what I found. I will not use complete names as this is a public website. However, I compiled the information and saved it on a pdf. I will send it to you as an attachment as I do not think we can send attachments on this forum. I will be sending it to Jim, Chris, Leonard, Ann and Mike. If anyone else would like a copy I can send it as an attachment in an email directed to you. I also have the complete cvs Excel file which I am not sending.

Jim-thanks for placing your surnames on your page. That helped me see you on Rita's matches.

I had access to Mic, Rita and Mike's matches and the others were matches to each of the three of us.

Following is the gest of it. In the pdf I give snp start and end locations and cMs.

Of people matching Mic:
Rita- 1st Cousin
Ann-4th Cousin
Heidi-4th Cousin
David-5th Cousin

Of people matching Mike:
Boyce-5th Cousin Remote
Jim-5th Cousin Remote

Of people matching Rita:
Mic-1st Cousin
Jim-2-4 Cousin

Strangely (or otherwise- as in the randomness of what we inherit) Rita matches Jim and Mike but not Mic, even in the CVS comparison where it measures as low a 1cM).

Chris, as administrator, will have to tell us if Boyce, Heidi and David are in the McCown project. They would be in the Family Finder results page of the administrator's page and not on any public page. Chris would ba able to see this but not the rest of us.

Heidi and David descend from Mary McCown (daughter of Alexander) who married William Nutt
On 23 and Me I also match a 3rd cousin of Heidi who is of this line but does not seem to be on FTDNA.

Boyce descends from James McCown (ca 1775-1820) married Sallie and through their daughter Sarah Ann McCown b 1809 Camden Co, SC d 1889 Camden Co, SC) married Jesse Salmond Nettles.
So, from what I am seeing this line is somehow related.

Since Jim, Boyce, Heidi and David are not in any of the projects I administer I was unable to see their matches.

However, to make a longer story shorter, all of the above people do match one another when placed on the chromosome browser and when printed out in Excel from the CVS format which bases the matches on 1cM rather than the 5cM normally used by the Chromosome Browser.

The matches we have are all very small which is why Boyce and Mike do not match me, Rita and my matches. I do not know if Boyce and Jim match at all even though they both match Mike.

Rita (Mic's 1st cousin) and Jim match as 2-4 cousins with 73.04 cM
But Mic and Jim did not at all.

The matching is occurring collectively on Chromosomes: 2,3,4,7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15
Not everyone is matching everyone on each of those chromosomes.

MIC

Leonard J. McCown

Jun 15, 2014, 7:51:52 PM6/15/14
to mcc...@googlegroups.com

Mic,

I do not see a Boyce, or Heidi in our membership list.

There are two Davids, David 211976 I know is from a KY line.

David 271411, I do not know. However, I also do not see you listed except for a kit that was mailed and not returned. So there must be another group of DNA somewhere that the group I started. Leonard

Leonard J. McCown, Irving, Texas -- McCown Family History

leo...@mccown.org -- http://www.mccown.org

People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to

their ancestors. -- Edmund Burke, 1790

aspen_ds

Jun 15, 2014, 7:53:18 PM6/15/14
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,
Thanks for your recent posts and information.  I have ordered the Family Finder DNA kit and am awaiting its arrival.
When I receive the results, what do I need to do to share the results with the McCown group?
Thanks,
Joni McCown
Glen McCown - Father
John McCown - Grandfather, traveled from Kentucky, family settled in Nebraska

Leonard J. McCown

Jun 15, 2014, 8:08:34 PM6/15/14
to mcc...@googlegroups.com

Hi Joni,

If you have joined the McCown group, some of it will be available, but not all because of privacy. Leonard

Leonard J. McCown, Irving, Texas -- McCown Family History

leo...@mccown.org -- http://www.mccown.org

People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to

their ancestors. -- Edmund Burke, 1790

James McCown

Jun 15, 2014, 8:50:30 PM6/15/14
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Mic:

Thank you very much for this info. Please do send me the pdf to JJJungleJim at gmail dot com.

That is interesting about Heidi and David matching you. Since they are descendants of Mary McCown and William Nutt. I think Mary was the sister of Sampson McCown (b 1775)?

This gives us additional evidence, on top of my ftDNA 111 marker test, that Sampson was the son of Alexander McCown of the 6 brothers.

I recall Stephen McCown said he read a book about the Nutt family and that is what led him to believe that Sampson is the son of Alexander. I would like to see that book now. Any idea where it is or what the title is?

Jim

Mic Barnette

Jun 15, 2014, 10:28:43 PM6/15/14
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim:

Actually, I have the father of the first Sampson as Major John McCown and wife McCalla
This John would have been a son of Alexander.

Alexander and Elizabeth Moore were too old to be the parents of Sampson. They would have been his grandparents.

There was a John McCown who came to Camden District 1756 I have not proven this is the same John but there are a lot of land transactions in Chester Co. I was trying to extract them and have not had time to get back to them. If I remember correctly the land Sampson (mar Mgt Telford) sold before leaving Chester Co was a part of the John McCown patent.

There is a second group of McCowns who live in another area of Chester Co. Years ago I would have argued but after looking through the land records I can see their lands are totally unconnected to the other. Althought, they still might be related?

MIC

James McCown

Jun 16, 2014, 7:33:27 AM6/16/14
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Mic do you have birth and death dates for Major John McCown and his wife?