Help the Brown Pelicans by Supporting PWC

Morro Coast Audubon Society

May 17, 2024, 8:20:37 PMMay 17
to MCAS ALERT
BRPE Morro Bay Harbor - Joanne Aasen.jpg
                            Brown Pelican in Morro Bay Harbor [photo by Joanne Aasen]

Shared from Pacific Wildlife Care's Facebook post (https://www.facebook.com/PacificWildlifeCare):

Since April 20th, Pacific Wildlife Care (PWC) has seen a significant increase in Brown Pelican patients arriving at our animal care center. These majestic birds are arriving emaciated and dehydrated, with distressing reports of sick and displaced brown pelicans being discovered all over San Luis Obispo County.
Our dedicated team at PWC is working tirelessly alongside California Fish and Game and neighboring Wildlife Care Centers in Monterey and Santa Barbara to monitor this concerning situation. While it's too early to pinpoint the exact cause of their distress, rest assured that we are committed to keeping the public informed as we gather more information.
If you encounter a pelican in distress or any animal needing help, please don't hesitate to call our Wildlife Hotline at (805) 543-9453. Our trained Hotline and Rescue Transport Volunteers are available 365 days a year to provide assistance.
If a pelican exhibits neurological signs such as falling over or seizing, please refrain from handling the animal directly. Instead, call PWC immediately and wait for assistance. Remember, animals should never be touched with bare hands.

PWC urgently needs your support to continue their rescue and rehabilitation efforts. Pelicans require approximately five pounds of fish per day for sustenance, and them donation can help us rebuild our fish supply. Additionally, your generosity will provide essential care, fluids, and medications needed for these birds to make a full recovery.

Donations to PWC can be made at pacificwildlifecare.org