Re: [350-disc] Question re Urgent Alert: Call Gov Cuomo re pipelines

1 view

Eric Broadbent

Jul 7, 2017, 11:51:57 PM7/7/17
to act...@ureach.com, MCAN Talk, 350ma-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martha

the organization that sent out the alert has a map at the top of the front page on their web site:  https://sape2016.org
… that shows the route of the "Atlantic Bridge” pipeline.

The project seeks to expand the capacity along an existing route and extend it:
(from a news report cited on the SAPE page above)

Since 2011, Spectra Corporation, owner of the 1,129-mile Algonquin Pipeline, which runs from Texas to Beverly, Massachusetts, where it connects with another pipeline running into Canada, has sought to expand the pipeline in order to transport fracked gas north from Pennsylvania. Spectra, one of the largest natural gas infrastructure companies in North America, calls the planned enlargements “The Algonquin Incremental Market Project” (AIM).

Most believe the gas is ultimately destined for export because the target capacity is far beyond what the region has historically used.
One of the pipeline termination points in CA is near a new export facility.

Here’s a brief description on the Enbridge (company that purchased Spectra) project website:

The Atlantic Bridge Project is designed to provide additional capacity on our Algonquin Gas Transmission and Maritimes & Northeast Pipeline systems to move reliable, economical natural gas into New England and to specific end use markets in the Canadian Maritime provinces targeting an initial in-service date in November 2017.

Exports of “natural” gas would likely allow for higher market prices and yield more profits, spurring on more drilling, etc.
It’s a disaster for many reasons, and a tragedy because in terms of infrastructure investment we all know that increases in distributed renewable generation, grid modernization, storage, and resilience.
Instead, the IOUs (with Baker et.al. at their side) want to push the costs of gas pipelines on ratepayers.  Thank goodness for Maura Healey…

Sorry if this is “too much information…”

-Eric

On Jul 7, 2017, at 10:31 PM, Martha Older <act...@ureach.com> wrote:

Unsure what you mean by "the fracked gas that will ultimately come through MA" -- are these pipelines headed for here?

Thanks,
Martha Older

---- On Thu, 6 Jul 2017, Eric Broadbent (ebroa...@mac.com) wrote:
FYI
From our sisters and brothers in NY opposing the
fracked gas that will ultimately come through MA

> Subject: Urgent Alert: Call Gov Cuomo - NYS
made a huge mistake by issuing permits for
dangerous AIM and Atlantic Bridge pipelines next
to Indian Point
>      URGENT ACTION ALERT
> CALL GOVERNOR CUOMO DAILY: 518-474-8390
> Tell Governor Cuomo: Gas pipelines and power
plants do not belong at or near the Indian Point
nuclear plant site. Closing Indian Point does not
solve the radioactive threat to 20 million New
Yorkers who live and work within 50 miles of the
plant. A gas pipeline explosion adjacent to 45
years of highly radioactive nuclear waste
permanently stored on site could make this region
uninhabitable for millennia. We strongly urge you
to exercise the power of your office to ensure
that independent pipeline safety, nuclear and
disaster preparedness experts are fully engaged in
the plant's decommissioning plans and that
appropriate steps are taken to halt the
unprecedented location of gas infrastructure this
close to the Indian Point facility.

> GIANT HIGH PRESSURE GAS PIPELINES
> AT INDIAN POINT​
> ​....​WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

Eric Broadbent

Jul 7, 2017, 11:55:21 PM7/7/17
to act...@ureach.com, MCAN Talk, 350ma-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry - meant to write this (highlighted text):

… in terms of infrastructure investment we all know that instead we need increases in distributed renewable generation, grid modernization, storage, and resilience."

For more options, visit us at:
http://groups.google.com/group/mcan-talk?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MCAN Discussion Forum" group.