Fw: Climate Movement Weekly Update: Three Arrested as West Roxbury Resists

Nancy K.

Oct 12, 2015, 12:42:16 PM10/12/15
to MCAN Talk

            FYI ...

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2015 12:27 PM
Subject: Climate Movement Weekly Update: Three Arrested as West Roxbury Resists

The latest news from the MA climate movement!
No Images? Click here

Dear friends,

Construction may have begun on the West Roxbury Lateral pipeline -- but the movement to stop it is stronger than ever. Hundreds of people have pledged to resist the pipeline, and three brave community leaders were arrested last week in acts of courageous non-violent civil disobedience at the pipeline construction site.

Spectra Energy seems to think that this project is a done deal. But Keystone XL was a done deal -- until it wasn't. Shell's drilling in the Arctic was a done deal -- until it wasn't. It's not like this fight is over. In fact, we're only just getting started.

Show your support by attending one of the vigils every weekday morning at the construction site, and stay tuned!

All my best,

Emily

PS: Looking for the calendar of events? Keep scrolling all the way down -- in some email programs, you may need to click on a link to be shown the rest of the newsletter.

Resisting in West Roxbury as Construction Begins

On Tuesday, Chuck Collins, Rev. Anne Bancroft and Rev. Martha Niebanck were arrested while blocking construction of the West Roxbury Lateral gas pipeline. Their brave action sent a strong message to city officials, federal regulators and the pipeline company: this fight is far from over. More civil disobedience actions are planned over the coming weeks; for now, local residents and allies are continuing to stand up against the pipeline with daily vigils. Join one of the vigils and show your support! (And, if you can, contribute now to help cover legal costs).

Note that the vigil schedule is subject to change -- check the Facebook page for the latest.

What: Vigils Against West Roxbury Lateral Pipeline
When: Weekday mornings, 8-9 am
Where: Construction site (check Facebook page for the latest)

What: Vigils Against West Roxbury Lateral Pipeline
When: Mondays, 6:30pm – 7:30pm
Where: Proposed metering station, 2383 Centre St, West Roxbury

Civil Disobedience Training in West Roxbury

Interested in learning about your rights as a protester? Curious about "civil disobedience"? Want to know more about the effort to resist the West Roxbury pipeline? Join one of these trainings in West Roxbury, sponsored by Resist the Pipeline.

What: Civil Disobedience and Legal Rights Training
When: Tue, October 13; Tue, October 20; Tue, October 27; Tue, November 3 All trainings go from 6:30pm – 9:00pm
Where: Theodore Parker Church, 1859 Centre St., West Roxbury

Divestment Campaign Call to Action

The 350 Mass divestment team is asking that all members of the grassroots network help get the divestment legislation moving.  We have learned that the legislation is being held up on the house side.  Please call your state representative (find them here) and urge them to contact Public Service Committee co-Chair James Murphy to push for favorably reporting out H.2269 (the divestment bill) and H.2372 (the commission bill)  before the Thanksgiving recess. You can find a call script and instructions here!

350 Mass Berkshires Legislative Breakfast

Join 350 Mass Berkshires for an in-depth, interactive conversation with the five legislators representing Berkshire County citizens. Through an open discussion and lively question-and-answer format, we will explore a long-term vision for sustainable energy generation and distribution in Massachusetts and the specific policies/legislation that must be developed to realize that vision.

What: Legislative Breakfast
When: Fri, October 16, 8:00am – 9:30am
Where: Ralph Froio Senior Center, 330 North Street, Pittsfield

350 Mass South Shore Carbon Pricing Forum

The world's leading economists agree that the single best way to address climate change is by putting a price on carbon. By asking polluters to pay a fee for the carbon that they put into the atmosphere, we can reduce pollution and promote clean energy while fostering economic growth. On October 15, hear from experts like Marc Breslow of Climate Xchange and learn  how carbon pricing works and the success it has had in our neighbor to the north — the Canadian province of British Columbia! The program will also include a chance to learn about how climate change will affect the South Shore. Join us!

What: South Shore Carbon Pricing Forum
When: Thu, October 15, 7:30pm – 9:30pm
Where: Old Ship Meeting House, 90 Main St., Hingham

350 Mass Franklin Pipeline Opposition Meeting

Texas-based Spectra Energy is trying to build a new high-pressure gas pipeline through Milford, Bellingham, Medway, Millis, Franklin, Norfolk, Walpole, Sharon, Stoughton, and Canton as part of their "Access Northeast" project. Sharon residents, as part of the Greater Franklin node of 350 Mass, are organizing to stop this dangerous and unnecessary pipeline and to demand clean, local energy like wind and solar!

Join an initial meeting on October 21 to learn more and get involved!

What: Meeting to Stop Spectra's New Gas Pipeline
When: Wed, October 21, 7pm – 9pm
Where: Moose Hill Audubon Sanctuary, 293 Moose Hill Parkway, Sharon

Save the Date: December 12

December 12 will mark the end of the long-anticipated international climate negotiations in Paris. No matter what happens in the negotiations, we know we'll need to keep working here in New England! On December 12, people from across the region will converge on Boston for a massive mobilization to demand jobs, justice and climate action. Mark your calendar now. Interested in being part of the planning team? Email James Razsa,  ja...@betterfutureproject.org.

(Image credit: Canary Project)
What:
Massive Mobilization for Jobs, Justice and Climate Action
When: Saturday, Dec 12
Where: Boston (location TBD)

Collect Signatures for #RaiseUpMA

The Raise Up MA coalition led the successful effort last year to win a higher minimum wage and earned sick time for Massachusetts workers. Now, 350 Mass is joining the coalition to work on the biggest campaign yet: a historic effort to pass a constitutional amendment that would fund public education and transportation through a 4% tax increase on incomes over a million dollars. By passing this amendment, we can raise billions of dollars to pay for much-needed improvements to the T and other public transit systems. Collecting signatures is also a way for 350 Mass to stand in solidarity with the unions and social justice groups that have partnered with us on divestment and other campaigns!

We've set a goal of collecting 500 signatures for Raise Up MA by the end of November. Can you join us? If you think you can collect 10 or more signatures from friends, family or neighbors, please click here and we'll make sure you get signature sheets and all the instructions!

350 Mass North Shore Screening of "This Changes Everything"

On October 20, 350 Mass North Shore is hosting a screening of "This Changes Everything", the ground-breaking new documentary based on Naomi Klein's book.  Through interviews and footage from nine countries, the film argues that we can seize the existential crisis of climate change to transform our failed economic system into something radically better.

"This Changes Everything" is provocative, bold, and inspiring -- you won't want to miss it!
What: This Changes Everything Screening
When: Tue, October 20, 7:30pm – 9:00pm
Where: Cape Ann Cinema, 21 Main St, Gloucester, MA 01930
Buy tickets at the door.

Answering the Call: An Interfaith Gathering for Climate Action

Join members of Boston area congregations and faith organizations for this very special interfaith gathering to share messages of hope, inspiration, and action for healing our world. At this event -- part service, part forum, part rally -- we will gather to learn: what Pope Francis is telling us about the connection between faith, social justice, and climate change, what the call to action on climate means to people of faith in Massachusetts, what the practical response looks like in our communities, and what we can accomplish together as people of faith that we cannot accomplish alone.  RSVP here!

What: Answering the Call: An Interfaith Gathering for Climate Action
When: Mon, October 12, 7pm – 9pm
Where: Temple Beth Elohim, 10 Bethel Road, Wellesley

Check Out Wen Stephenson's Book on Climate Justice

Journalist, author, and 350 Mass member Wen Stephenson is about to release his new book, What We’re Fighting For Now Is Each Other: Dispatches from the Front Lines of Climate Justice. In the book, Stephenson tells his own story and offers an up-close, on-the-ground look at some of the people who have laid everything on the line to build and inspire this fast-growing movement: old-school environmentalists and young climate-justice organizers, frontline community leaders and Texas tar-sands blockaders, Quakers and college students, evangelicals and Occupiers.

The book is now officially out -- you can order it now by clicking here! All proceeds will go to grassroots climate justice groups.

What: Book Launch for What We're Fighting for Now Is Each Other
When: Tue, October 13, 7pm – 9pm
Where: St. Anne's-in-the-Fields, Episcopal Church, 147 Concord Rd., Lincoln

What: Book Launch for What We're Fighting for Now Is Each Other
When: Fri, October 23, 7pm – 9pm
Where: Wayland High School Auditorium, 264 Old Connecticut Path, Wayland

October 14: Public Transit is a Public Good

To cut carbon pollution, we need public transit that's reliable, efficient, clean, safe and affordable. In short, we need a public transit system that works for riders and workers -- not one that's driven by profit. On October 14, Community Labor United and the Green Justice Coalition are holding a press conference and visiting the Governor's office to stand up against the privatization of the MBTA. This event is part of the national People's Climate Day of Action!

What: Public Transit is a Public Good - Press Conference & Visit to the Governor's Office
When: Wed, October 14, 1pm – 2pm
Where: Room 437, Massachusetts State House, 24 Beacon St, Boston

Letter Writing Party

The State Legislature is considering numerous bills related to clean energy. Join Frank Carney of Citizens Climate Lobby and Rabbi Katy Allen to find out the important details and write a letter to your representative. You will receive the information and guidance you need to help you write a letter, ready to be mailed by the end of the session. Enjoy conversation and tea, with local goodies provided by Transition Framingham. Please RSVP to in...@oneearth.today.
What: Advocacy as Spiritual Practice: Letter Writing for the Planet
When: Sun, October 18, 2:00pm – 3:30pm
Where: Open Spirit, 39 Edwards St., Framingham

Discuss Pope Francis’ Call

Join an all-encompassing, inspirational series of discussions with Sr. Ruth Rosenbaum of CREA.  Co-sponsored by the Faith and Environment Group of Sacred Heart and St. Brigid Parishes, and MA Interfaith Power and Light.  Free and open to all. More information is here!
What: Responding to Pope Francis’ Call To Care for Our Common Home
When: October 13, October 27 and November 10, 7pm – 9pm
Where: St. Brigid Parish Center Auditorium, 1995 Mass. Ave. Lexington

Movie about KY Pipeline Victory

Against all odds, a coalition of farmers, activists and religious orders succeeded in defeating Kentucky's Bluegrass Pipeline. Learn how they did it at an upcoming showing of "The End of the Line"! Buy tickets here.
What:  "The End of the Line" Screening
When: Sun, October 18, 1:30pm – 3:00pm
Where: Somerville Theater, 55 Davis Square Somerville, MA 02144

Calendar of Upcoming Events

Statewide

Massive Mobilization for Jobs, Justice & Climate
Saturday, Dec 12
Boston (location TBD)

Berkshires

Legislative Breakfast
Fri, October 16, 8:00am – 9:30am
Ralph Froio Senior Center, 330 North Street, Pittsfield

Weekly Anti-Pipeline Picket Line
Fri, October 16, 12pm – 1pm
Kinder Morgan’s Office, 137 North Street, Pittsfield

350 Mass Node Meeting
Wed,  Oct 21,
6:00pm – 8:00pm

Unitarian Universalist (UU) Church, 174 Wendell Ave, Pittsfield

Boston

350 Mass Node Meeting
Mon, October 12,
6:30pm – 8:30pm (potluck at 6:30, meeting at 7:00)

Nate Smith House, 155 Lamartine St, Jamaica Plain

Vigils Against West Roxbury Pipeline
Weekday mornings, 8-9 am
 Construction site (check Facebook page for the latest)

Vigils Against West Roxbury Pipeline
 Mondays, 6:30pm – 7:30pm
 2383 Centre St, West Roxbury

Civil Disobedience and Legal Rights Trainings
Tue, October 13; Tue, October 20; Tue, October 27; Tue, November 3
All trainings go from 6:30pm – 9:00pm
Theodore Parker Church, 1859 Centre St., West Roxbury

Public Transit is a Public Good
Wed, October 14, 1pm – 2pm
Room 437, Massachusetts State House, 24 Beacon St, Boston

Cambridge

"The End of the Line" Screening
 Sun, October 18, 1:30pm – 3:00pm
Somerville Theater, 55 Davis Square Somerville

350 Mass Node Meeting
Tue, October 20,
6:30pm – 8:30pm (orientation for new members at 6:00 pm)
First Church Cambridge, 11 Garden St, Cambridge

Franklin

350 Mass Node Meeting
Thu, October 15, 7pm – 9pm
First Universalist Society in Franklin, 262 Chestnut Street, Franklin

 Meeting to Stop Spectra's New Gas Pipeline
Wed, October 21, 7pm – 9pm
Moose Hill Audubon Sanctuary, 293 Moose Hill Parkway, Sharon

Lowell

350 Mass Node Meeting
Wed, October 14, 7:30pm – 9:00pm
Wicked Irish Pub, 197 Market St, Lowell

North Shore

This Changes Everything Screening
Tue, October 20, 7:30pm – 9:00pm
Cape Ann Cinema, 21 Main St, Gloucester

Metro West

Answering the Call: An Interfaith Gathering for Climate Action
Mon, October 12, 7pm – 9pm
Temple Beth Elohim, 10 Bethel Road, Wellesley

Responding to Pope Francis’ Call To Care for Our Common Home
October 13, October 27 and November 10, 7pm – 9pm
St. Brigid Parish Center Auditorium, 1995 Mass. Ave, Lexington

 Book Launch for What We're Fighting for Now Is Each Other
 Tue, October 13, 7pm – 9pm
St. Anne's-in-the-Fields, Episcopal Church, 147 Concord Rd., Lincoln

Advocacy as Spiritual Practice: Letter Writing for the Planet
Sun, October 18, 2:00pm – 3:30pm
Open Spirit, 39 Edwards St., Framingham

Book Launch for What We're Fighting for Now Is Each Other
Fri, October 23, 7pm – 9pm
Wayland High School Auditorium, 264 Old Connecticut Path, Wayland

South Shore

South Shore Carbon Pricing Forum
hu, October 15, 7:30pm – 9:30pm
Old Ship Meeting House, 90 Main St., Hingham

350 Mass Node Meeting
Tue, October 20, 7pm – 9pm
Old Ship Church Parish House, 107 Main St, Hingham

About Better Future Project and 350 Mass

Better Future Project (BFP) builds a powerful grassroots movement to confront the fossil fuel industry and meet our energy needs without contributing to climate change, oppression, or human suffering.

350 Massachusetts for a Better Future (350 Mass) is Better Future Project's volunteer-led climate action network. Although closely aligned with the mission and values of 350.org, 350 Massachusetts for a Better Future is not part of 350.org.

Questions? Email Emily Kirkland, em...@betterfutureproject.org

Better Future Project and 350 Mass
If you're getting this email, you've indicated interest in getting updates about the Massachusetts climate movement from 350 Mass or Better Future Project.