Fw: BASEA Forum - this Thursday, Oct. 8th: Off + On: The Climate Movement and the Road Through Paris

Nancy K.

Oct 4, 2015, 10:53:15 AM10/4/15
to MCAN Talk
            FYI ....

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 03, 2015 4:52 PM
Subject: BASEA Forum - this Thursday, Oct. 8th: Off + On: The Climate Movement and the Road Through Paris

BASEA Mast Head
BASEA Logo
Boston Area Solar Energy Association
Forum: Thursday, October 8th, 2015

Oh! October is here already and our BASEA.org Forum is this Thursday, October 8th. Please plan to attend and invite a friend, as this will be a special 'movie night', with refreshments and conversation as always.

You know the maxim: Think Globally, Act Locally

There's been a lot of action locally, as the many who attended the Sep. 29th State House hearing can attest to - a packed room with a heavy presence of renewable energy advocates and our Mass Power Forward coalition partners. And today, the Boston Globe editors gave our movement a strong, supportive push, and a pushback against the narrow-minded approach floated by Governor Baker, who seems to blindly ingest the empty calories of the utilities' current advertising campaign, which blows smoke to suggest that solar is a burden.

But we know that big-picture thinking reveals solar energy to be a feast of benefits - and the Globe's editorial piece - "Save the Solar Incentives" - resoundingly calls this to the attention of its readership!

Friends, the iron is hot. Let's keep hammering* away with local action to forge a future of clean energy for Massachusetts citizens, towns and businesses.

And yes, 'Think Globally', like 350.org and our movie feature "Off + On: The Climate Movement and the Road Through Paris". Hard to believe, but November 2015 is almost here. The COP21, 2015 United Nations Climate Change Conference, will be held in Paris, from November 30 to December 11. It's been a long road: from Rio through Kyoto, Bali, Copenhagen and Cancun, Durban and Doha, Warsaw and Lima. Will Paris be the destination we seek - a triumphant homecoming and a point of departure toward a new direction for our global society?

The pope's encyclical, Laudato Si' - On Care For Our Common Home, released in June, clearly anticipates the Paris conference: "We know that technology based on the use of highly polluting fossil fuels - especially coal, but also oil and, to a lesser degree, gas - needs to be progressively replaced without delay." The U.S.-China Joint Announcement on Climate Change declares that Presidents Barack Obama and Xi Jinping "are committed to reaching an ambitious 2015 agreement", specifically referring to the Paris convocation.

350.org has a plan to bring all of us - civil society worldwide - together in a movement to deliver this message to Paris: "Keep fossil fuels in the ground - really, just stop digging and drilling - and start building renewable energy everywhere we can. Turn off the old kind of energy that's killing us, and turn on a renewable future. Do it now."

Come, watch, listen and discuss at the October 8th Forum of the Boston Area Solar Energy Association.

~%@ ~%@ ~%@ ~%@ ~%@ ~%@ ~%@ ~%@ ~%@ ~%@ ~%@ ~%@ ~%@% ~%@

* Yes, you have a hammer - we all have hammers. Here, you will find the nails:
Go ahead and hit them!

Concentrate on your Representative, as the Senate's already passed a bill to lift net metering caps!
House Switchboard (617) 722-2000
You can ask your Rep. to urge Speaker DeLeo and Energy Chairman Golden to raise the net metering caps immediately. Finally, if you would, please report back to Sean at Vote Solar, who is graciously tracking our progress - email: se...@votesolar.org
Thank you!

 Location: First Parish in Cambridge Unitarian Universalist;  3 Church Street, Harvard Square

Time: Doors open at 7:00 p.m.; Presentation begins at 7:30 p.m

Emily Kirkland will provide a brief introduction to the film and the local work of 350 Massachusetts, a statewide volunteer-led climate action network that is fighting to stop new fossil fuel projects, promote clean energy, put a price on carbon, and divest our state pension fund from fossil fuels.

Please Join Us!  Donations and membership support BASEA.

The Boston Area Solar Energy Association,  www.BASEA.org; a chapter of NESEA.

Join Our Mailing List    Forward to a Friend or Colleague    Like us on Facebook  View our profile on LinkedIn  Follow us on Twitter

Forward email

This email was sent to enviro...@comcast.net by in...@basea.org |

Boston Area Solar Energy Association | P.O. Box 44-1017 | Somerville | MA | 02114