Assessments?

Kelly Sandy

Dec 14, 2010, 12:50:39 PM12/14/10
to MC3 6th/7th grade
Does anyone know when assessments for these units will be available?
Are you currently creating your own assessments based on the lessons?
How is that working for you?

Thanks,
Kelly Sandy
Newaygo Middle School
6th Grade

Lisa Haynes

Dec 14, 2010, 12:51:44 PM12/14/10
to mc3-6th7...@googlegroups.com
They are revamping the 6th and 7th grade units, so who knows how long it will be for assessments? I'm thinking it may be a year plus.

I've been making my own assessments for some of the lessons. Last year I tried to do a unit test and it was information overload for the kids. The lesson quizzes seem to work very well though.

Lisa Haynes
6th grade teacher
Keicher Elementary
Are there lesson quizes that I've missed or are you creating those
too.
I was thinking about unit tests but I'm overloaded just thinking about
creating them! :)

On Dec 14, 12:51 pm, Lisa Haynes <Lisa.Hay...@mccardinals.org> wrote:
> They are revamping the 6th and 7th grade units, so who knows how long it will be for assessments?  I'm thinking it may be a year plus.
>
> I've been making my own assessments for some of the lessons.  Last year I tried to do a unit test and it was information overload for the kids.  The lesson quizzes seem to work very well though.
>
> Lisa Haynes
> 6th grade teacher
> Keicher Elementary
> From: mc3-6th7...@googlegroups.com [mc3-6th7...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Kelly Sandy [kellymsa...@gmail.com]

Kim

Dec 16, 2010, 3:20:57 PM12/16/10
to MC3 6th/7th grade
Assessments are so far off in the horizon we can't even see them yet!!

Each lesson has a brief assessment at the end, but no unit tests (and
really, this should be tailored to your teaching anyway).

Lisa was correct, we've spent time reconsidering 6/7 as it turns out
that what has been created is actually a step backwards in terms of
rigor compared to 3rd, 4th and 5th grade. It meets the GLCEs but it
doesn't do anything to advance student thinking or skills. Hence, the
rewrite. At the moment it looks like a Global Studies course for 6th
grade and an Ancient History/World Religions course for 7th--this is
based on the amount of time the history GLCEs take, the amount of that
material reported on the 9th grade MEAP, and the lack of state
direction given to schools regarding 6/7 resulting in disconnect
between grades.

Kim
> > 6th Grade- Hide quoted text -

KimB

Jan 4, 2011, 4:37:46 PM1/4/11
to MC3 6th/7th grade
How soon do you think a decision on this "revanmp" might be? Is this a
decision of the MC4 coalition or the state or both? A change as such
has large implications for curriculum shift and plans to ensure
students are reached on each GLCE during transition years. It sounds
like an interesting idea!