Economics

rr

Nov 8, 2010, 7:20:02 AM11/8/10
to MC3 3rd grade
I'm starting the econ unit today - any tips? does anyone have any
assessments I could use to hone my lessons?
thanks

Bacak-Egbo, Carol E

Nov 8, 2010, 5:46:03 PM11/8/10
to mc3-3r...@googlegroups.com
Do a little assessment of your students' prior knowledge regarding econ: e.g. words like scarcity, choice, resources... things that are covered in grade 2. Also: look for examples of econ around you: sales brochures, signs talking about sales, newspaper articles on prices ( e.g. I just saw one on gas prices going up and one on air travel going up for the holidays), scarcity issues in your classroom, etc.
Carol Egbo

________________________________

winmail.dat

rowed

Nov 9, 2010, 11:54:23 AM11/9/10
to MC3 3rd grade
I have been having a lot of fun with this unit so far. We are working
on lesson one and the vocabulary that is involved. These words (human
resources, economics, entrepreneur) are difficult for my students
because they haven't heard them before. We used the lesson 1 cards as
a game board. I had them cut them out and clue onto construction
paper (I will do the same for lesson 2, on the back). I gave out
drink stirrers as pointers and hand them point to the words as we
learned about them. Then, I would give the defination and have them
point to the word on their "game board'. After we did this for a
while I took just the words and printed them out very large and sticky
tacked them to my white board. We played "Ms. Rowe's Social Studies
Scramble" where three students had fly swatters and when I gave a
defination or example of one of the vocab words they had to run up to
the board and swat the correct word. It has been a fun way to learn
the vocabulary and examples for this often tricky terms. Hope this
help!

rr

Nov 10, 2010, 10:21:36 AM11/10/10
to MC3 3rd grade
Very helpful - there are some newspapers down in the office - I'm on
my way to look for "sales."
>  winmail.dat
> 4KViewDownload

rr

Nov 10, 2010, 10:22:23 AM11/10/10
to MC3 3rd grade
LOVE THIS - I just didn't know what to do with the cards and I was
toying around with some ideas - this tops them all, by far.
Thanks, Robin
> > thanks- Hide quoted text -

mcdona2

Nov 21, 2010, 9:11:57 PM11/21/10
to MC3 3rd grade
I have the kids cut and put the vocabulary words into a plastic
baggie. I have had them play a game where one student starts by saying
"What does...mean?" and as the students raise their hands the student
picks someone to answer. That person then becomes the caller. The kids
continue this until all the words have been covered. I did this as a
review activity at the end of a couple of lessons so there were enough
cards, 20+, to work with. Another idea that I am considering is after
the students have about 5-10 cards from a new lesson I will have them
buddy up and play a memory/concentration game with the cards. I also
think it would be fun to play I Have Who Has, but it would mean making
a set of new cards that "I have ... "(the definition of one word) and
a "Who has...?" (another vocabulary word) on them.

MiSweet

Dec 7, 2010, 3:35:56 PM12/7/10
to MC3 3rd grade
I make all vocabulary words into a matching game. term on one card,
definition on another. kids work in groups to match them. As they
become more proficient with them, they play as a memory-match game.
There are so many words for each unit, but my kids are learning them
this way.