mless - Message list

Marko Bauhardt

Mar 17, 2022, 4:48:08 AM3/17/22
to mbl...@googlegroups.com

Hey.
When using mless, there are on top 6 messages visible followed by the content of the selected message.

Is there any convenient way to increase the length of the List of messages?or would be patching the src the way to go?

Thx Marko

Leah Neukirchen

Mar 17, 2022, 10:39:40 AM3/17/22
to mbl...@googlegroups.com, Marko Bauhardt
This has come up before: https://github.com/leahneukirchen/mblaze/issues/194

Currently the length is hardcoded, but I'm willing to accept a patch;
expressing the logic in shell didn't feel super straight forward however. :)

--
Leah Neukirchen <le...@vuxu.org> https://leahneukirchen.org/

Marko Bauhardt

Mar 21, 2022, 4:16:00 PM3/21/22
to Leah Neukirchen, mbl...@googlegroups.com
Hey leah,
Ok nice.

> Currently the length is hardcoded, but I'm willing to accept a patch;
> expressing the logic in shell didn't feel super straight forward however. :)

Not sure if i have enough skills to apply a proper patch 🤓
Anyway, how do you imagine the patch? Should be the length of the messages computed relativ to …i dont know…. Or via env vars or a new hard coded Value as patch and the User can decide if she/he wants to have it, similar like other suckless Tools do it.

Marko

Leah Neukirchen

Mar 21, 2022, 4:26:01 PM3/21/22
"'Marko Bauhardt' via mblaze" <mbl...@googlegroups.com> writes:

>> Currently the length is hardcoded, but I'm willing to accept a patch;
>> expressing the logic in shell didn't feel super straight forward however. :)
>
> Not sure if i have enough skills to apply a proper patch 🤓
> Anyway, how do you imagine the patch? Should be the length of the
> messages computed relativ to …i dont know…. Or via env vars or a new
> hard coded Value as patch and the User can decide if she/he wants to
> have it, similar like other suckless Tools do it.

We usually use mblaze-profile(5) for that... perhaps something like

Scan-Lines: 10

But computing it relative to the terminal lines could also be an option.

Marko Bauhardt

Mar 22, 2022, 2:28:16 PM3/22/22
to Leah Neukirchen, mbl...@googlegroups.com

> We usually use mblaze-profile(5) for that... perhaps something like
>
> Scan-Lines: 10

Hey. See github.com/leahneukirchen/mblaze/pull/223

Marko