Visualize the AST

Eman Negm

Jul 4, 2019, 1:58:45 PM7/4/19
to mbeddr-discuss
Dears,

  Is there any way to view the underlying AST that are displayed in the node explorer in a graphical way?.
I don't need to make a graphical tree editor. I just want to display it in a visual tree for educational purpose.

Thanks alot.

Eugen Schindler

Jul 6, 2019, 6:11:07 AM7/6/19
to mbeddr-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eman,

The node explorer is already a graphical tree. If you are looking for a tree that looks different than the node explorer (e.g. like https://ruslanspivak.com/lsbasi-part7/lsbasi_part7_astprecedence_01.png, then such an "artistic" view is to my knowledge not available in MPS yet).

It can be created, though, with a little bit of effort. See for an example the https://github.com/dslfoundry/mps-langvis plugin, which visualizes the structure of an MPS language as a UML diagram using PlantUML. You can use the same principle with PlantUML or dotty to visualize an AST an a more "artistic" way. If you decide to do this, it would be nice to share your result here.

Greetings,
Eugen