This list seems officially dead

Steve Davy

Jan 3, 2023, 6:11:46 PM1/3/23
to Maya Group
After more than 20 years (!) it feels like this group has finally bitten the dust. I'm not sure there's been a single email in the past two months...

Where are people going for Maya community and support these days?

matt estela

Jan 3, 2023, 6:23:39 PM1/3/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Heh, just the old timers left. :)

I assume its gone the way of discord/reddit like everything else. Can be hard to find the right place that isn't too noisy or too quiet, but when you find the right one, its quite nice.

On Wed, 4 Jan 2023 at 10:11, Steve Davy <stevi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
After more than 20 years (!) it feels like this group has finally bitten the dust. I'm not sure there's been a single email in the past two months...

Where are people going for Maya community and support these days?

stephen mann

Jan 3, 2023, 10:05:25 PM1/3/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Well …
 The autodesk forums do get a lot of signal
 And im personally on one discord called “ ask a rigger”   ( well im on the bifrost one as well.  But that officially ended a while ago )

But even when this email thread started it was pretty quiet

Other than when highend 3d was first created and maya was in version 1.0. The community has always seemed quiet in comparison to houdini / zbrush / 3dsmax.   And especially now compared to blender unreal  unity.

There was more buzz when Landreth was still being supported to make a film each year

Also the last two months have been lead up to and then the holdiays for a lot of people … so. Quieter than normal maybe.

-=s

og...@gmx.at

Jan 4, 2023, 1:58:19 AM1/4/23
to maya_he3d
Still here.
For Maya im on the Autodesk board.
For Bifrost on the Discord. https://discord.gg/bifrost-addicts

Cheers

suraj harrington-odedra

Jan 4, 2023, 5:43:47 AM1/4/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Present!

Although no longer a Maya user..

On 4 Jan 2023, at 12:28, og...@gmx.at <og...@gmx.at> wrote:

Still here.

joiec...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2023, 1:17:47 AM1/5/23
to maya_he3d
I'm here too. I asked some weeks ago, but apart from that, I'm mostly quiet since I've nothing to say LOL

matt estela

Jan 5, 2023, 1:34:13 AM1/5/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
I guess all the maya problems are solved, cos there's no more questions to ask! Hooray!

SEQUENZ | Gerstenmaier

Jan 5, 2023, 3:50:18 AM1/5/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com

Mentally present 24/7 - still some years until retirement pension.

Yeah, Maya runs nowadays so smoothly - no more problems to report ;-)

Lars

________
________

Szabolcs

Jan 5, 2023, 4:45:54 AM1/5/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
I suspect the state of this mailing list reflects nicely the state of Maya in the industry in general. We know its there and we can rely on it, but sadly its not where the interesting things are happening anymore.

BTW, just a blast from the past, when people just couldn't shut their mouth on the internet. :)
Stefan's summary of the fist group's first two days in 2009.08. after the original HE3D list was cancelled:
--
== Top posters ==

This month
7 	matt estela
2 	stefan.anderssson
2 	dmeyer
2 	Szabolcs
1 	Mike Thomson
1 	steve davy
1 	Jord
1 	Lucho

The traffic is intense! 😄

/s

-- [ protector of penguins - abuser of pixels ] --

Cheers,
Szabolcs

On 1/4/2023 12:11 AM, Steve Davy wrote:
After more than 20 years (!) it feels like this group has finally bitten the dust. I'm not sure there's been a single email in the past two months...

Where are people going for Maya community and support these days?

Carlos Rico

Jan 5, 2023, 4:47:30 AM1/5/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, SideFX Maya, I mean, Autodesk Houdini, has no more issues to be solved XD. Cheers!

Carlos Rico Adega
-------------------------------------
LinkedIn
carlos....@gmail.com

Tim Leydecker

Jan 5, 2023, 5:09:59 AM1/5/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com

Still here but sticking to a 2020 suite at home, the last of the permanent license upgrade options.

---

I think I am not the only one that still gets a lot out of those Maya 2020.x releases.

---

Blender and Houdini are what I´ll be forcing myself to focus on this year, most/all companies
that I tend to work for/apply at seem to swing towards "more Houdini" as their shot backbone.

Yes, yes the others made Katana useable, too.

---

Funny enough, I worked at a shop that is using 3DSMax/VRay for Lookdev&Lighting and survived.
It helps to be old and to recognize the interface just as it was 20 years ago...

---

Have a nice year!

tim

Steve Davy

Jan 5, 2023, 3:34:35 PM1/5/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Haha.

I can only assume the comments about all Maya's problems having now been solved are with tongue firmly in cheek. As a still daily user I can tell you that it continues to surprise and delight in that regard.

It's definitely not as lively here as it used to be, but good to know people are still paying attention.

Jan 12, 2023, 8:44:38 PM1/12/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Still here too, but I'm exclusively Houdini for the last 7-8 years

Nicolas Combecave

Jan 13, 2023, 12:37:25 PM1/13/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com

Deke Kincaid

Jan 13, 2023, 12:48:38 PM1/13/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Lurking too, mostly dealing with the software development end of things these days in Maya, Houdini, Unreal, etc..

Google loves to send messages from this group to spam though.

Nathan Shipley

Jan 13, 2023, 12:55:10 PM1/13/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Also still here!  Focused most of the time on AI-related things these days.

Anthony Enos

Jan 13, 2023, 12:55:42 PM1/13/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Present, and spying. Also stopped paying Autodesk after the permanent licenses were discontinued. Riding 2022 until the wheels fall off. I found these messages in spam too, and that may be contributing to the silence in the group lately.

elvis

Jan 13, 2023, 1:46:36 PM1/13/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Unity and AR-related, always waiting for maya to come back...

Armin

Jan 13, 2023, 1:47:29 PM1/13/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Still here too, mostly fumbling clumsily around in bifrost at the moment.
Great fun though.

armin

matt estela

Jan 13, 2023, 4:30:34 PM1/13/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Awww, this is like at the end of the labyrinth where all the characters show up in the girl's mirror.

"But... if you need us..."

hernan s

Jan 13, 2023, 8:27:00 PM1/13/23
to maya_he3d
Still here mostly Houdini and when in Maya using Bifrost graph.

joiec...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2023, 11:30:29 PM1/18/23
to maya_he3d
I would like to know Autodesk roadmap with MASH and Bifrost. I eager to know if their plan is to finish and deprecate MASH and focus on Bifrost instead, because I love MASH' simplicity but powerfulness, Bifrost is kind of impossible for me since it is soooo complex right know. Funny enough you have LOTS of tutorials and goodness from Blender's geometry nodes, but Bifrost remains as mistery for most MAYA users out there...

og...@gmx.at

Jan 19, 2023, 1:40:00 AM1/19/23
to maya_he3d
I fear there is not much in development for MASH.
But there is a lot in the pipe for Bifrost.
Here a good stating point.

Armin

Jan 19, 2023, 8:38:53 AM1/19/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Initially I thought so too about Bifrost, way too complex
for me since I am not a technical person.
But I was interested and fiddled around a bit.
After watching a few of Jason Browns(Val Halen) tutorials
and just copying what he does I was able to understand a bit more.
And there are very good tutorials from others as well, see the link from oglu.

After a while of fumbling, I was able to do a simple motion graphics job,
which I would have done in MASH and curve warp, with Bifrost.
That worked out very well and I learned a lot.
The speed of Bifrost alone was well worth the time invested.
The other thing that was extremly cool was that you build a setup
or tool once and then you reuse it as often as you need.
You just copy and paste or publish a compound.
And I could do client changes very quickly just build a new
compound and paste it in all the scenes or republish.

There are a few very good compound packs you can download
like mjcg compounds, Roland Reyer, Val Halen....
They contain a lot of functionality like curve warp, warp etc..

But you need time to learn since it is very different from maya,
for me it feels more elegant, you just work in your graph
no additional editors or stuff you need.
I will probably never be able to build complex tools,
or do intense math stuff, but it is very usable for a lot of different things,
and I learn much about the basics, stuff I never thought about before.

I hope they will make more high level compounds that will make
things easier to do. At the moment it forces you to build many things
with low level nodes which I can do only by watching tutorials and
building without fully understanding the math parts.
The simulation and scattering stuff is pretty accessible right now,
and it's fast and fun to use.

armin

joie

Jan 19, 2023, 8:58:11 AM1/19/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Thank you both for your valuable help!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "maya_he3d" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/maya_he3d/40c829ba-3b18-8b72-202b-799d05479168%40gmail.com.

--
Visita mi blog: 3djoie.blogspot.com

Deke Kincaid

Jan 19, 2023, 9:50:08 AM1/19/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Bifrost and the VNN is essentially the future of all of Maya.  I just don’t know how long it is going to take to replace all the current graphs with it.

Anthony Rosbottom

Jan 19, 2023, 9:58:19 AM1/19/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
I'm still subbed to the list. Been here from the start but the last time I used Maya in my day job was 2011 I think. Then there was a year or two of Max and since then.. Blender.
But I've spent the last decade and more in video games. If I ever have to go into vfx, I'll pickup Maya Indie to get back up to speed.

n00b question - is someone paying for the group to exist or is google/alphabet paying for it?

--
Cheers,

Anthony Rosbottom

matt estela

Jan 19, 2023, 3:28:59 PM1/19/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
I've been paying $20 a month since it started.

Nah kidding, its free, we're all paying with our words and thoughts being pulled into the google machinery.

joie

Feb 27, 2023, 2:05:57 AM2/27/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,
I recently discovered Discord and several channels related to CGI, MAYA, Blender, Bifrost, etc.
Although I don't like the fact that I have to be in several ones, and would like one like this group, with everyone involved. I acostume to you, guys, over the years.
Are you at any Discord server by the way?
Cheers!