Fluid set initial state doesn't work

Steve Davy

Aug 1, 2023, 1:41:15 PM8/1/23
to Maya Group
<Sigh>. So I have now resorted to Maya fluids to do the smoke sim that was impossible in Bifrost. I have not touched fluids in years.

The sim is working fine and all I need to do now is set an initial state as I don't need the initial run up frames.

This is what's happening:

  1. Run the sim to desired initial state frame
  2. With fluid selected go to Fields/Solvers > Initial State > Fluids > Set Initial State. Check all attributes are checked in options. Hit "Set Initial State"
  3. Watch the feedback line return "doSetFluidState 1 { "1", 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 } ;"
  4. Go back to frame 1 and watch the fluid completely disappear and Maya laugh in my face as if all of the steps above were just something I had only imagined doing.

Is there anything that actually works as it's supposed to in Maya any more? Assuming yes and this is user error, what's the freaking error? This should work, right?