batch: mental ray renderer mentalRay is not registered

Gary Jaeger

Sep 3, 2014, 1:18:57 AM9/3/14
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Does anybody have a solution to the error

mental ray renderer mentalRay is not registered yet

when batch rendering? when I submit 2015 scenes to the farm I get that.

Gary Jaeger // Core Studio
249 Princeton Avenue
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
650 728 7060
http://corestudio.com

Jan Ziemann

Sep 3, 2014, 1:55:56 AM9/3/14
to maya...@googlegroups.com
I had that a long time ago. Delete your maya prefs and try it with new ones. I think that solved it for me.

Jan

Gary Jaeger

Sep 3, 2014, 11:00:33 AM9/3/14
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jan. I’ll give it a try

Gary Jaeger // Core Studio
249 Princeton Avenue
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
650 728 7060
http://corestudio.com

Gary Jaeger

Sep 9, 2014, 8:51:48 PM9/9/14
to maya...@googlegroups.com
OK, reaching out here again. We have exactly ONE machine on the farm that will batch our mr scene. As I say, vray works fine as to the the other renderers. Looking through the log I see this:

maya: License was not obtained
Tried Maya 2015 (657G1 2015.0.0.F), error 25

License method:
environment variable MAYA_LICENSE_METHOD='standalone'

Product choice:
environment variable MAYA_LICENSE='unlimited'

--

Ok... Any idea what I could pull from the one machine that's working? or why I get a license error with mr? Or which "preferences" I should trash?

thanks for any help. Trying to get a render going tonight and I don't think one machine is going to do it!

Dylan Neill

Sep 9, 2014, 9:38:05 PM9/9/14
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Have you installed any service packs for Maya? I know there were some Mental Ray issues that were fixed in the service packs.

Jan Ziemann

Sep 10, 2014, 4:07:07 AM9/10/14
to maya...@googlegroups.com
I don't know about the licensing thing but the "mental ray renderer mentalRay is not registered yet" error I had some time ago was the consequence of my workstation saving a corrupted scene file.
Everytime I send a scene to the renderfarm some render nodes would render the scene and some wouldn't due to this error. The ones that did render had the mayatomr plugin on autoload, the others did not. But since I was the only one having such problem I asked a coworker to open my scene file, save it and send it to the render farm on his workstation and the scene rendered fine on all render nodes. We compared .ma files of these scenes and discovered that .ma files saved from my workstation were missing some lines regarding mental ray at the beginning. Trashing the prefs on my workstation solved the problem.
Hope this little story helps.