nParticle initial state or cache removal leads to scene crash

Steve Davy

May 2, 2023, 7:40:37 PM5/2/23
to Maya Group
I seem to remember this from years ago, GREAT that it's still a problem in Maya.

Title says it all -- I have a (very simple) particle sim that I have set both an initial state and then ran a cache on.

Now deleting these to make some changes to the sim results in my scene completely locking up Maya when I try to play back. I'm talking total UI freeze and a hard restart.

Anyone know of any way to avoid this?

hernan s

May 3, 2023, 11:29:57 AM5/3/23
to maya_he3d
Use Bifrost and avoid problems with the nStuff from Maya besides Ncloth which still holds until MPM gets all the constraints. But particles you can do a lot more and way way way more stable in BF and easier.
If you want to stay in the N system no clue.

Besides the N system is not getting updates which makes sense.

Jean Delaunay

May 3, 2023, 11:48:34 AM5/3/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
I second the switch to bifrost particles.

But just to focus on your problem at hand...
In what order are you removing the cache and initial state? When does it freeze exactly?

One last resolve workaround:

Save a preset for your nParticle , emitter and nucleus nodes.
Create a new setup , and apply the presets + copy keyframes/transforms if needed. Delete the old setup.

Not ideal, i know... But at least you could move forward.

Steve Davy

May 5, 2023, 5:36:02 PM5/5/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
I never got to the bottom of this, but managed to roll back to an uncached version and made sure to save a separate file stream with initial state and cache moving forward.

Shouldn't be necessary, but that's Maya isn't it.