How to flag an attribute as a dirty bit? /force refresh on a node

ryan harrington

Aug 18, 2022, 9:25:11 AM8/18/22
to maya_he3d
I have  an expression plugged into the co-ordinates of a Redshift maxxon noise node.
The attributes only update when I spam the edit button in the expression editor.
So frame stepping isn't updating those attrs.
I seem to remember there is a way to flag an attribute as a dirty bit...anyone know the way?

matt estela

Aug 18, 2022, 10:08:11 AM8/18/22
to maya...@googlegroups.com
"dgdirty -a" in an expression? That's locked in my brain for some reason even though I haven't used maya in anger in years now. :)

ryan harrington

Aug 18, 2022, 8:01:00 PM8/18/22
to maya_he3d

Hey Matt :)
dg dirty is the one I was scraping around for, thanks!
(dgdirty -a being the nuclear option)
https://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/2015/CHS/Maya-Tech-Docs/Commands/dgdirty.html

didn't help tho...made a new noise node and it's fine now.
ta!

matt estela

Aug 18, 2022, 9:32:51 PM8/18/22
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Hooray!

(now ditch that and come learn houdini)

ryan harrington

Aug 21, 2022, 10:29:57 AM8/21/22
to maya_he3d
I do love Houdini, it's shockingly better for anything you might need to do more than once.  Brutal maya jobs ar getting in the way of my time at that particular coal face...so every few months I try and pick up the threads.
Recently I spent two days trying to do something in maya that was entirely logical, and theoretically trivial... 1/2 an hour, without much aptitude in Houdini and I was done.

desig...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2022, 12:01:28 AM8/27/22
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Ryan, I'd actually love to hear about that example, if you could give details. I too have been using Houdini a little and wondering why I don't just switch over for good. I think it's just the type of work I get. Most of it is straightforward and only occasionally do I have a really challenging problem to deal with.

When that happens, I slowly/painfully figure it out in Houdini, easily recognize how much better, faster, simpler it is, make a promise to use Houdini more often, and then go back to Maya.

Jason Brummett

Apr 5, 2023, 8:39:38 AM4/5/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Anyone know if there a houdini_he3d group?

sid

Apr 5, 2023, 9:14:10 AM4/5/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
I'm not aware of one! Most people tend to use the odforce forums, or the official sidefx forums. Both are great resources.

matt estela

Apr 5, 2023, 9:22:02 AM4/5/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
or hell, ask here, we're all old timey grumpy 3d friends. :)

sid

Apr 5, 2023, 9:23:55 AM4/5/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
True.. Matt and I are on a mission to convert everyone! 😂

Jason Brummett

Apr 5, 2023, 9:53:55 AM4/5/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com