Corrupted .ma file

joiec...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2023, 12:11:19 PM9/25/23
to maya_he3d
Hi there,
After six hours of modeling, computer freezed when MAYA was saving the file at 90% (not sure why system frozen, but surely is not MAYA related).
So, the file is like ~500mb in size.

When opening again, the file always stuck at 45% and never finish opening it.
If I want to do the "import to another scene" trick, it still stick at 45% of importing.
Since it is a .ma file, I've tried to open it with Notepad++ software, but when reasing the end of the file (or what I guess is the end), it freezes. No luck.
I've tried to open it with EditPad lite, which did open the file. But at some point, it just puts "......" and nothing more.
So I just copied all before that point and save it as another .ma file.
It got opened this time, but the scene just has my reference model but NOT all I hand modeled over it, so it is completely useless.
When system frozen, I was saving the file in order to do the backup of everything.
It is amazing how Murphy can be a son a bitch, man.

stephen mann

Sep 25, 2023, 8:41:42 PM9/25/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Can be a number of things

Guessing you’re not getting a specific error on opening ?  Often there are fixable errors in the ascii.  But sometimes it doesn’t finish writing the file completely.

 I used to have to fix ascii files all the time a the studio I was at .. and teaching.
  I can look at it tomorrow and give it a try if you can / want.

-=s

joiec...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2023, 11:19:09 PM9/25/23
to maya_he3d
Thank you very much. MAYA stuck at 45% and stay there forever. No errors. I guess it simply stopped saving at some point and never wrote anything else in the file. If you stil want to look at the file, I can send you it to you privately. It is like ~500mb in size.