bifrost on life support?

matt estela

Mar 10, 2023, 7:05:00 PM3/10/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Heard worrying rumours that bifrost is headed the way of paintfx, xgen, mash, etc, and will be there, but not really there, not actively developed.

Anyone else heard this?

Steve Davy

Mar 10, 2023, 8:16:26 PM3/10/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
I hadn't but, it would be fully in line with Autodesk's goldfish attention span.

It seems like Houdini has the market completely cornered for this type of stuff anyway though?

Mar 11, 2023, 12:55:23 AM3/11/23
to maya_he3d
Its the other way around. No slowing down. They hired new developers for Bifrost.
Also made the Bifrost USD open source for a Big Client.

og...@gmx.at

Mar 11, 2023, 5:50:19 AM3/11/23
to maya_he3d
The most important thing for Autodesk M&E is a working USD pipeline. Without it they would be kicked out of big studio pipelines.
And Bifrost USD is a big part of it. The next step is LookDevX to get materials working for USD. And LookdevX is based on the same tech as Bifrost.

matt estela

Mar 11, 2023, 7:48:49 AM3/11/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
great, i hope they keep it up!

Deke Kincaid

Mar 11, 2023, 12:32:56 PM3/11/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
All the new tech is based on Bifrost and VNN.  So while the fluid simulation part is not as actively worked on everything else in and around Bifrost is the future of the platform.  That architecture gives them scalability and is the next closest thing to a Houdini/Katana future.

stephen mann

Mar 11, 2023, 2:05:29 PM3/11/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Probably the biggest mistake they made was to not rename or differentiate bifrost (the fluid sim)  from  bifrost the node based system ..
  I know the tech was linked  but i think it really stunted artists from getting into bifrost (nodal) in the beginning

Afaik  bifrost is still being developed as a stand alone separate system from Maya and Max … even if better integrated into Maya …

-=s

Deke Kincaid

Mar 11, 2023, 4:12:36 PM3/11/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
But they did do that.  3-4 years ago they broke off “VNN” from Bifrost.

Anthony Tan

Mar 12, 2023, 11:41:48 AM3/12/23
to maya_he3d

@matt - if you aren't in it, you can always pop into the bifrost discord and noodle around to see what's up, IIRC that's where most discussion seems to be right now: https://discord.gg/bifrost-addicts

matt estela

Mar 12, 2023, 3:59:47 PM3/12/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Anthony!

Yeah I poked my head in quickly, it wasn't quite the roiling mass of activity I was hoping for, but good to see something happening. :)

stephenkmann

Mar 13, 2023, 1:56:04 PM3/13/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Deke. I was referring to the name.   They are both still named bifrost.  Which I think has confused ppl.

 By this point, everyone knows. but I think originally it was confusing and so let to a little bit of a rocky start in getting ppl to use it

--
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

hernan s

Mar 31, 2023, 1:13:40 PM3/31/23
to maya_he3d
The old Bifrost system (non-procedural) is the one that won't get any more updates. Which makes total sense. Bifrost Graph, the procedural system is actively being developed.
They already transferred the whole aero solver to the graph which is a lot better than the non-procedural one, and eventually, the fluid solver is coming as well. And you started to see some low-level geo nodes in 2.51 and forward.  MPM is all there and getting refined every time + more.  You are also seeing the first iteration of the LookdevX.
Message has been deleted