Shader bins

Steve Davy

Mar 30, 2023, 8:17:07 PM3/30/23
to Maya Group
Never used bins in the hypershade much in the past, even though Maya's shader management is atrocious, and I'm now remembering why.

Is there ANY way to HIDE a selected group of shaders from the "Master Bin", or ANY way to make a bin OTHER than the "Master Bin" the default, so that I can hide a bunch of shaders I don't need but ALSO do not have to work in a bin other than the default or have to constantly add newly created shaders to it?

All I want is to be able to only see the shaders I need to work with by default. You'd think this would be the first functionality they'd have added.

sid

Mar 31, 2023, 11:16:01 AM3/31/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Ahhh Shader Bins.

I remember using them when they first came out in like 2009 and they were an absolute MESS. Buggy, terrible interface design, needed a lot of manual work to put all objects in each bin. I think I went from "OMG THIS IS GOING TO MAKE LIFE SO MUCH EASIER" to "what a total POS" in about 20 mins flat and never touched them again. AFAIK, neither did Autodesk.

Sid

Steve Davy

Mar 31, 2023, 1:24:57 PM3/31/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, the simple lack of any ability to make any bin the default and with default behavior e.g. anything new goes in there automatically renders pretty much the entire system useless for any practical purposes. There's also zero ability to select objects assigned material in a certain bin or anything interactive with your 3D scene.

Like so much in Maya, half baked. It would only be helpful for organizing a file once it's completed, and who the hell does that.

Mar 31, 2023, 1:27:30 PM3/31/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Immediate use case I had back in the day: export an asset with shaders in a specifically named bin.

Nope.

Has this changed?

Steve Davy

Mar 31, 2023, 1:29:49 PM3/31/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
I'm using Maya 2020 and in this version, nope there is no ability to select objects from the bin.

Apr 10, 2023, 12:43:34 AM4/10/23
to maya_he3d
I just use pinned tabs. Period.