old poly cut tool

stephenkmann

Mar 31, 2023, 9:55:10 AM3/31/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
  Anyone out there with an old cut of Maya.
I'm looking to find that old polyCut tool that when you hit "t" for special manipulator.
would Give you a gizmo that looked like an image plane, that you could translate and move.

I could swear it's still in the latest Maya. but I can't find it. I believe it got pulled from the menus around Maya 2020.    When they introduced the multi-cut tool

If anyone knows what I'm talking about. and can find it.  Can I get the mel to run it? (usallly just shows up in the script editor, but you may have to turn on echo all commands)

 ( Usually all this old stuff is still in there. but not in the menus.. Like the old Text tool.. which I still use all the time )

thanks
-=s

GoLeafsGo

Apr 3, 2023, 10:56:57 AM4/3/23
to maya_he3d
I think you're talking about the polyCutCtx.  Pretty sure we still create one by default, but it's probably not in the UI anywhere.  You should be able to switch to the tool with:  setToolTo polyCutContext

-Tim

GoLeafsGo

Apr 3, 2023, 11:01:26 AM4/3/23
to maya_he3d
I also just tried the Multi-Cut tool and it can create the same node as the polyCutCtx.  The Multi-Cut tool will create polySplit nodes when you click on the mesh to choose where to cut component-by-component, and it'll use polyCut nodes when you click off of the mesh to draw out a line to cut all the way through it.  So if you start the cut off of the mesh you should then be able to hit the 't' key and you'll get the manip you're looking for, no need to switch to the old polyCutCtx.

-Tim

stephen mann

Apr 4, 2023, 10:49:51 PM4/4/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Yeah i had tried that too
  Some of the functionality is there .. you can do the delete function and offset function
 But i feel like the old one gave an actual widget  similar to  place3D transform

 T does give you similar control   And i learned how to force it affect all faces   By default it doesnt seem to

I thought of it after seeing im3djoes cut faces tool    And he mentions there isnt anything in maya that does it ….  So it got me thinking

Thanks

-=s