Xgen Lambert1 workaround?

Steve Davy

Aug 28, 2023, 4:20:29 PM8/28/23
to Maya Group
I'm now having to learn Xgen.

In what I consider to be a mind blowing limitation, it is necessary to have the Lamber1 default shader assigned to a model in order to be able to interactively paint maps for density etc.

With this 40 year old shader model assigned and with a lot of the map black, it's effectively impossible to see model topology even at the most basic level (e.g INSIDE the mouth, versus OUTSIDE.

Is there any trick I can use to have this shader assigned but somehow get the viewport to display something else, and/or force ANY kind of specularity on the Lambert? I'm not aware of anything that can do this -- the only tricks I can think of require rendering and that's simply too inefficient for interactive groom development.

joiec...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2023, 8:16:15 AM8/29/23
to maya_he3d
I'm guessing you can create a blinn shader and use the Lambert1 existing connections to the default SG group in order to connect it?
Would that work?

Steve Davy

Aug 30, 2023, 2:58:47 PM8/30/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
Actually it seems like no workaround is possible, since whenever you go into paint mode Maya will display pure diffuse shading no matter what you do or how you hook up a shader.

The only solution I've found is to have a second, textured mesh visible at the same time, but then you're effectively painting blind.

Sep 1, 2023, 6:35:40 AM9/1/23
to maya...@googlegroups.com
If it is always showing grey shading, then it is not showing lambert1 shader but another thing.
If you just change the 0.5 grey color for lambert1 to, say, pure red, it still shows grey?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "maya_he3d" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/maya_he3d/DM6PR07MB58655C900EF62061D62144B8DDE6A%40DM6PR07MB5865.namprd07.prod.outlook.com.

--
Visita mi blog: 3djoie.blogspot.com