error message

Bram Breure

Sep 22, 2007, 5:22:28 PM9/22/07
to Maxent
Hi all,

I'm a newbie Maxent user and I run into problems getting it to work.
I'm using Maxent 3.0.6. beta under MacOSX 10.4.9 (but experienced the
same problem using my old WinXP-machine).
As input I use locality data, exported from a Windows Excel X for Mac
to a CSV-file format. I tried all 3 available CSV-formats (plain CSV,
CSV Windows and CSV 0S/2+MS-DOS) but they all produce error messages:
IOExecption Sample file needs three columns {the locality data are all
listed, the three columns separated by a semicolon (;) instead of a
comma].
Thus, somehow Maxent seems to interprete my CSV-files wrong or it
expects a different CSV-format (??).

When I use a different route, exporting the same data from a Mac-
spreadsheet (Numbers) into CSV-format, the localities are grouped
together at species level (like in the Bradypus tutorial file), but
then the error message is that there is a unused field in the CSV-file
and the species are skipped because it has 0 training samples.

My tentative conclusion is that Maxent is very critical upon the file
format, but currently I have no clue about the cure.
Any suggestion to solve the problem will be greatly appreciated.

Bram Breure

Steven Phillips

Sep 26, 2007, 2:19:58 PM9/26/07
to Max...@googlegroups.com
Bram,

Have you tried using commas rather than semicolons as the separator in
your comma-separated value files?

-- Steven

Bram Breure

Sep 28, 2007, 12:57:30 PM9/28/07
to Maxent
Hi Steven,

Yes I know that there should be commas as separators and the files
were CSV-files so I guess they should have them. I just can't figure
out if it is the import function in Maxent that doesn't seem to work
or that in both my Excel and Number programs the export-to-CSV-
function is corrupt. That seems to me too odd for an coincidence (?).

Bram

On 26 sep, 20:19, Steven Phillips <phill...@research.att.com> wrote:
> Bram,
>
> Have you tried using commas rather than semicolons as the separator in
> your comma-separated value files?
>
> -- Steven

Marcelo Lima

Sep 28, 2007, 6:48:39 PM9/28/07
to Max...@googlegroups.com
You have to change the semicolons into commas, using Notepad, for instance, before you open the file in maxent.
Cheers

--
Marcelo Gonçalves de Lima
Biologist, PhD

Marieke van der Meijden

Feb 6, 2024, 8:03:46 PMFeb 6
to Maxent
in case others look up this question like I had, what worked for me was to open the control panel > clock and region > more settings > numbers > set delimiter to ; instead of ,