Increase of iterations from the default

gafna jeff

Aug 20, 2023, 6:13:57 AM8/20/23
to max...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

Abrha says in his paper in this link (https://doi.org/10.1080/10549811.2018.1494000)
that maxent iterations should be increased from the default (500) to a higher value so as to enable the model to have adequate time to converge, thereby preventing under-predictions and over-predictions.

Could someone explain to me what it means by "to enable the model to have adequate time to converge".   And how will that avoid overpredictions and underpredictions?

Thanks in advance
Jeff

Jamie M. Kass

Oct 23, 2023, 8:36:15 AM10/23/23
to Maxent
Sorry, this is outside of my expertise. However, increasing the iteration number can't hurt, but if might take some more time?

Jamie

gafna jeff

Oct 23, 2023, 8:43:51 AM10/23/23
to max...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jemie,

Thank you for your response. Indeed I answered this question correctly during my PhD defense. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Jeff

Jamie M. Kass

Dec 22, 2023, 10:25:16 PM12/22/23
to Maxent
Jeff,

Could you post the explanation you came up with? Others would likely be interested. Thanks.

Jamie