Error: memory exhausted (limit reached?) - ENMeval v.2.0.4

Samuel Schmid

Jan 25, 2024, 1:29:55 AMJan 25
to Maxent
Greetings colleagues,

I hope all is well. I am running into an issue similar to that expressed in this thread

After running this code, I received these errors

ap_mx1 <- ENMevaluate(occs = ap_occ, envs = env1, bg = ap_bg,
                      algorithm = 'maxnet', partitions = 'block',
                      tune.args = list(fc = c("L","LQ","LQH","H"), rm = 1:5),)

Error: memory exhausted (limit reached?) Error during wrapup: memory exhausted (limit reached?) Error: no more error handlers available (recursive errors?); invoking 'abort' restart

Unlike the author of the previous thread, my PC has considerably higher performance. The specs include a i7 7900k 3.6 GHz CPU with 32 Gb of RAM.

My occurrence data consists of 1804 points and my background points are 5000. My environmental layers consist of four bioclimatic variables at the 30 sec resolution. I recognize that the resolution is very fine and I assume it plays a role in the errors I am receiving.

Something of note: I have already successfully generated candidate models for a different species of 35 occurrences using the same arguments and environmental layers.

The previous thread provided multiple solutions that I plan on trying, but since the analyses take quite a long time to run, I am trying to troubleshoot in an efficient manner. Are there issues I should be addressing first? Are there other problems arising that I have not considered?

Thanks for your time.
-Sam

Jamie M. Kass

Feb 6, 2024, 8:20:29 PMFeb 6
to Maxent
If options(java.parameters = "-Xmx30g")  or something similar does not work for you, try running without rasters (samples-with-data or SWD strategy). There is an example in the current vignette:

-Jamie