ENMeval issues - spatial block partition

Lays

Sep 15, 2023, 6:55:01 AM9/15/23
to Maxent
I am having a problem when preparing some data for a paper. I am using some dataset of a species from peru and it seems like the distribution of the country (I mean, the lat/long boundaries) is affecting the way how ENMeval is analysing the data.

To clarify, this is how the partitions are being defined partition data.png

When I try to run mess, the partitions 1 and 2 are completely cut off and I am not sure how to proceed. I not only cannot use mess properly to evaluate my dataset, but I am also not totally sure if that will affect my niche models or not. Any suggestions?

partition data2.png
partition data3.png

Thank you in advance.

Amir Sohail Choudhury

Sep 15, 2023, 10:33:03 AM9/15/23
to max...@googlegroups.com
It looks like you're encountering issues with the partitioning of your data for analysis.
 The boundaries of the lat/long partitions seem to be causing problems. Here are a few suggestions to address this:

Check Data Consistency
 Incorrect lat/long values could lead to partitioning problems. Manually adjust the partition boundary

Jamie M. Kass

Oct 23, 2023, 8:22:55 AM10/23/23
to Maxent
Sorry for the late reply. I might be too late to help in any way, but here are my thoughts. The way ENMeval is spatially partitioning your data does not seem strange to me -- the block strategy tries to break partitions into balanced groups that are defined by lat-lon lines. What is odd is that MESS values are not being calculated for your occurrence points in partitions 1 and 2. Do these areas correspond to non-NA environmental values? Did you figure out what was wrong? If not, perhaps you can send me the dataset and I can take a look.

Jamie