SET_MODE Message from APM Planner Using MAV_MODE_FLAG_CUSTOM_MODE_ENABLED in base_mode?

Robin Hilliard

May 20, 2021, 8:08:15 AM5/20/21
to MAVLink
Hi all,

I know the SET_MODE message is deprecated but I notice APM Planner is still using it and my Elixir MAVLink project needs to support it to maintain backward compatibility, that said:

I notice APM Planner is sending 1 in the base_mode field. This field is supposed to be a bitmask (it's missing display="bitmask" in the definition file, I'll do a PR for that, there was a discussion a few years back on this list about that being ok to give bitmask hints to code generators even if the field wasn't displayed on a UI) with values from the MAV_MODE enum, but MAV_MODE does not have an enum with value 1. The only likely enum value it might be is MAV_MODE_FLAG_CUSTOM_MODE_ENABLED from the MAV_MODE_FLAG enum.

Is that right that it's mixing enumerations for the base_mode field? If so, I have an issue because my library is decoding and encoding bitmasks to and from sets of flags for library users. Would it be possible to accomodate a:

<entry value="1" name="MAV_MODE_CUSTOM">

value in the MAV_MODE enum to reflect that this is a valid mask value in MAV_MODE?

Thanks,
Robin