Mavelous on a linksys WRT610n v1.0

Greg Osmondson

Dec 12, 2012, 12:34:45 AM12/12/12
to mave...@googlegroups.com
Running perfectly under DDwrt firmware. Installed python 2.7 via ipkg
and other modules manually. Installed git, cloned a new copy and ran.

Usbserial and ftdi_sio are already included in most DDwrt and openwrt
firmwares. I now have two options for my Mavelous on android. Run
it all on the wrt or run ser2net and pass the serial off to android
via tcp socket. Both appear to function, with the wrt running
Mavelous it seems to be a tiny bit speedier.

So now I use
Laptop/tablet --5.8g wifi-> WRT610N --900mhz telemetry --> apm2
leaving 2.4g open and clear for RC.

Greg

John Wiseman

Dec 12, 2012, 2:29:48 AM12/12/12
to mave...@googlegroups.com
That's great, I'm glad it seems to be working so well.

Was it at all tricky to get it running in DD-WRT?  I'm wondering if it would be worth writing up instructions.

John

Greg

Pat Hickey

Dec 12, 2012, 2:33:21 AM12/12/12
to mavelous
Very cool!

I coincidentally have that very router, but I never changed the firmware from stock. I guess I'll have to try it.

Agree that it would be nice to see instructions for installing all of the dependencies on DDWRT/OpenWRT if you had the time.

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Greg Osmondson <gosmo...@gmail.com> wrote:
WRT610

Greg Osmondson

Dec 12, 2012, 3:10:37 PM12/12/12
to mave...@googlegroups.com
I will work on getting this written up.  It was fairly straight forward, but the router might need external space (mine has a 8gb thumb drive attached to USB hub with 3dr radio).

The entire process took about 20 min from start to finish.

My next tweaks will be to disable the 2.4g radio (and/or drop power to lowest) and just use the a band radio as primary.

Greg Osmondson

John Wiseman

Dec 12, 2012, 3:16:45 PM12/12/12
to mave...@googlegroups.com
Are there any battery-powered routers you guys know of that are compatible with third party firmwares?

Greg Osmondson

Dec 12, 2012, 3:20:32 PM12/12/12
to mave...@googlegroups.com
Oh heck yeah.   Tp-link has one that I'm trying to get my hands on.   Theres also another that's reported to run from a single cell lipo directly without issue.     These are basically 3G routers without a 3G modem (they have a USB port to plug into).

Greg Osmondson

Greg Osmondson

Dec 12, 2012, 3:22:39 PM12/12/12
to mave...@googlegroups.com
Check out the TL-MR3040.  Supports openwrt and has a battery.

Greg Osmondson

On Dec 12, 2012, at 12:17 PM, John Wiseman <jjwi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Pat Hickey

Dec 12, 2012, 3:57:03 PM12/12/12
to mavelous
Looks like that device is $46 on Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-704-138&ParentOnly=1
The biggest issue seems to be needing a USB hub to support both a thumb drive and the 3DR radio.