JMS CIS Digest: 22-Dec-99 20:45 through 22-Dec-99 20:45 (2 msgs)

John D. Hardin

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99
RFC 1153 Digest of messages from
J. Michael Straczynski <71016...@compuserve.com>
22-Dec-99 20:45 through 22-Dec-99 20:45 (2 messages)

WARNING: This digest may contain information about shows
you haven't seen yet ("spoilers"). Proceed with caution.

Subjects in digest:
Unauthorized books?

Administrivia:
South Park fans may wish to visit:
http://www.infinicorp.com/babylonpark/

Well, everybody, thanks to your kind letters (and a new job)
I'm reconsidering my decision to discontinue the Digest. Stay
tuned for the final word...

The administrivia for this digest may be read at
http://www.wolfenet.com/~jhardin/JMS-Digest-Administrivia.txt
It was last updated Sat Feb 13 10:21:30 1999

Replies to this digest go to John Hardin.

obSpoiler-space...

Date: 22 Dec 1999 15:07:00 -0700
From: Graham Smith <7401...@compuserve.com>
To: J. Michael Straczynski <71016...@compuserve.com>
Subject: Unauthorized books?

> The Lane books fall into the "may not always be more objective"
> category stated above, especially the second one, ...

I found the first book to be quite informative (particularly the
inclusion of your essay from Foundation) and reasonably objective.
Thus I was glad to see the second edition come out.

But, like you, I was rather taken aback by the attitude of the author
in the second book. He was clearly miffed and allowed that to color
what could otherwise have been a well done second book. Clearly, the
objectivity was gone.

Still, he did manage to put in a couple of things worth seeing. In
particular, he quoted the entire 'Declaration of Principles' from
'Paragon of Animals'. Which, by the way, I showed to a minister friend
and had the pleasure of watching his eyes mist over as he read it.

But, on the whole, I could not recommend the second volume to any but
the die-hard fan who is willing to gloss over some of the sour grapes
to get to the few good parts.

--Graham

------------------------------

Date: 22 Dec 1999 20:45:02 -0700
From: J. Michael Straczynski <71016...@compuserve.com>
To: Graham Smith <7401...@compuserve.com>

"But, like you, I was rather taken aback by the attitude of the author
in the second book. He was clearly miffed and allowed that to color
what could otherwise have been a well done second book. Clearly, the
objectivity was gone."

Yup.

"Still, he did manage to put in a couple of things worth seeing. In
particular, he quoted the entire 'Declaration of Principles' from
'Paragon of Animals'."

Which a) he didn't write, b) I did, and get nothing for the
reuse of my material, c) is widely available online, and d) can be
transcribed by anyone from the episode, so you don't need the book to
do that.

jms

End of JMS CIS Digest 22-Dec-99 20:45 through 22-Dec-99 20:45
Support the anti-Spam bill - join at http://www.cauce.org

rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.info <*> Submissions: b5-...@plage.stanford.edu
Another fine service of ISN Mars Comments: b5-info...@plage.stanford.edu