L68K: Excuse the FAQ

Jesper Skov

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
(Forwarded from the linux-m68k mailing list)

I might be able to persuade Cygnus to let my Amiga get a full time net
connection. My plan is to buy a big IDE HD and allow the Debian people
(m68k in particular - hi James! :) to use it as a build server.

This would not happen for some weeks, possibly for another month or
so, but I think there's a good chance it will eventually happen. Only
problem is that I only have one free IDE connector, so I need to get a
big disk (I need enough space for m68k and ppc
installation+building). Are there any HW restrictions on IDE disk
sizes I should know of? I think 8.4GB IBM disk is probably the thing
to go for, but if the Gayle can't handle it there's not much point in
this...

Jesper

Joerg Dorchain

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98

Jesper Skov writes:
> sizes I should know of? I think 8.4GB IBM disk is probably the thing
> to go for, but if the Gayle can't handle it there's not much point in
> this...

AFAIK lilo has the restriction of currently beeing unable to access more
than than the first 4GB due to the use of Amiga device drivers.

Joerg

Roman Hodek

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
(Forwarded from the linux-m68k mailing list)

> I might be able to persuade Cygnus to let my Amiga get a full time
> net connection. My plan is to buy a big IDE HD and allow the Debian
> people (m68k in particular - hi James! :) to use it as a build
> server.

That's a fine idea, Jesper :-)

> Are there any HW restrictions on IDE disk sizes I should know of?

I don't know of any restrictions here...

Roman

Bernd Harries

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
(Forwarded from the linux-m68k mailing list)

Hi Jesper!

Jesper Skov wrote:

> Are there any HW restrictions on IDE disk

> sizes I should know of? I think 8.4GB IBM disk is probably the thing
> to go for, but if the Gayle can't handle it there's not much point in
> this...

If it is helpful:

I had a Seagate ST36450A (6.4 GB) in my Medusa and used it with Linux
m68k. Besides the point that a Partition must not be larger than 2 GB
there was no restriction. With the twilight kernels 2.1.4x-2.1.7x there
were strange problems but they were gone later. I never used a Partition
larger than 2040MB, so there were no probs caused by that.

Plus: It worked better in the 68040 machine than it does now in a x86
system where it is not possible to put it on the same ide cable as my
Samsung 1.2 GB disk. That well worked together in the Medusa.

--
Bernd Harries

b...@gmx.de http://www.freeyellow.com/members/bharries
bhar...@vossnet.de Tel. +49 421 809 7351 priv. | MSB First!
har...@stn-atlas.de +49 421 457 3966 offi. | Linux-m68k
be...@linux-m68k.org | Medusa T40
<>_<> _______ _____
.---|'"`|---. | |_| |_|_|_|_|_|_|_ (_____) .-----.
______`o"O-OO-OO-O"o'`-o---o-'`-oo-----oo-'`-o---o-'`-o---o-'___

Jesper Skov

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98

Bernd> Hi Jesper! Jesper Skov wrote:

>> Are there any HW restrictions on IDE disk sizes I should know of? I
>> think 8.4GB IBM disk is probably the thing to go for, but if the
>> Gayle can't handle it there's not much point in this...

Bernd> If it is helpful:

*mumble* Not really, sorry :)

My concern is with the Amiga HW. My current understanding of the
matter is that, if I only access the big disk from Linux/m68k/ppc
(i.e., boot from a smaller disk) everything will work out
fine. Correct?

Jesper

ch...@ramses.ml.org

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Jesper Skov wrote:

> *mumble* Not really, sorry :)
>
> My concern is with the Amiga HW. My current understanding of the
> matter is that, if I only access the big disk from Linux/m68k/ppc
> (i.e., boot from a smaller disk) everything will work out
> fine. Correct?

Well, as long as you don't use something incompatible, you should do just
fine(as the limitation is not in the hw, it's in scsi.device). I use a
4.3GB for both AOS and linux/m68k, and I can use the entire disc with no
problems, as I use a SCSIdirect fs for AOS and the IDE-driver for linux
works just fine. (I've used the last 0.3GB for both AOS and linux)

---
// Jesper Svennevid : ch...@ramses.ml.org

Kolbjørn Barmen

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98
(Forwarded from the linux-m68k mailing list)

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Jesper Skov wrote:

> My concern is with the Amiga HW. My current understanding of the
> matter is that, if I only access the big disk from Linux/m68k/ppc
> (i.e., boot from a smaller disk) everything will work out
> fine. Correct?

I have a 5.2GB on my catweasel, seems to work OK, I use it for linux as well
as amigaOS, nice temporary disk till UW scsi is supported or the DMA
problem is solved for the internal :)

For the internal IDE controllers I dont know, my a12oo only got 1.2+2.2GB :)

Kolbjørn Barmen | a3k/o6o/6o4e/AmigaOS/MacOS/Linux-PPC | // T e a m
<ko...@nvg.org> | a12ooCT/o3o/Linux-m68k a6oo/o3o/AmigaOS | \XX/ A M I G A
Nettverksgruppa | "I met the Amiga and fell in love..." | <amiga.nvg.org>

Jes Sorensen

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
(Forwarded from the linux-m68k mailing list)

Bernd> I had a Seagate ST36450A (6.4 GB) in my Medusa and used it with
Bernd> Linux m68k. Besides the point that a Partition must not be
Bernd> larger than 2 GB there was no restriction. With the twilight
Bernd> kernels 2.1.4x-2.1.7x there were strange problems but they were
Bernd> gone later. I never used a Partition larger than 2040MB, so
Bernd> there were no probs caused by that.

Linux does not have problems with 2GB partitions, thats an Atari
specific limitation. On the Amiga I think the limit is 4GB as long as
you don't put AFFS on it, otherwise its 2GB.

Jes

Jesper Skov

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
(Forwarded from the linux-m68k mailing list)

Bernd> I had a Seagate ST36450A (6.4 GB) in my Medusa and used it with
Bernd> Linux m68k. Besides the point that a Partition must not be
Bernd> larger than 2 GB there was no restriction. With the twilight
Bernd> kernels 2.1.4x-2.1.7x there were strange problems but they were
Bernd> gone later. I never used a Partition larger than 2040MB, so
Bernd> there were no probs caused by that.

Jes> Linux does not have problems with 2GB partitions, thats an Atari
Jes> specific limitation. On the Amiga I think the limit is 4GB as
Jes> long as you don't put AFFS on it, otherwise its 2GB.

But it is a filesystem/*partition* problem, not the disk as a whole,
right? I assume I will be able to do partitioning with HDToolsBox as
normal, just not be able to format the disks from ADOS.

Jesper

Jes Sorensen

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
(Forwarded from the linux-m68k mailing list)

Jes> Linux does not have problems with 2GB partitions, thats an Atari
Jes> specific limitation. On the Amiga I think the limit is 4GB as
Jes> long as you don't put AFFS on it, otherwise its 2GB.

Jesper> But it is a filesystem/*partition* problem, not the disk as a
Jesper> whole, right? I assume I will be able to do partitioning with
Jesper> HDToolsBox as normal, just not be able to format the disks
Jesper> from ADOS.

Not sure HDToolBox will allow you to create partitions larger than
4GB, anyway if you just want one large partition and you only want to
access it from Linux, don't partition it just do a 'mkfs /dev/hdX'.

Jes

Jesper Skov

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
(Forwarded from the linux-m68k mailing list)

Jes> Linux does not have problems with 2GB partitions, thats an Atari
Jes> specific limitation. On the Amiga I think the limit is 4GB as
Jes> long as you don't put AFFS on it, otherwise its 2GB.

Jesper> But it is a filesystem/*partition* problem, not the disk as a
Jesper> whole, right? I assume I will be able to do partitioning with
Jesper> HDToolsBox as normal, just not be able to format the disks
Jesper> from ADOS.

Jes> Not sure HDToolBox will allow you to create partitions larger
Jes> than 4GB, anyway if you just want one large partition and you
Jes> only want to access it from Linux, don't partition it just do a
Jes> 'mkfs /dev/hdX'.

Ouch! I need two partitions, one for m68k and one for ppc. I guess
I'll just have to try :(

Jesper

Joerg Dorchain

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98

Jesper Skov writes:

> Jes> Linux does not have problems with 2GB partitions, thats an Atari
> Jes> specific limitation. On the Amiga I think the limit is 4GB as
> Jes> long as you don't put AFFS on it, otherwise its 2GB.
>

> But it is a filesystem/*partition* problem, not the disk as a whole,
> right? I assume I will be able to do partitioning with HDToolsBox as
> normal, just not be able to format the disks from ADOS.

I'm not sure if HDToolBox has'nt some built-in restrictions. There is a
alpha/beta version of amiga-fdisk floating around that you could try. As
long as you don't have data on the disk, you can't loose them.

I'm not sure if HDToolBox has'nt some built-in restrictions. There is a
alpha/beta version of amiga-fdisk floating around that you could try. As
long as you don't have data on the disk, you can't loose them.

In the RDB, the information about a partion is stored as a enviroment
vecotr, which lets you define the whole geometry of a partion. You can
only allocate cylinderwise, but these values are stored as ULONG. So be
prepared to invent a new format for disks withs more than 2^32 Cylinders
;-)

Joerg

Roman Hodek

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
(Forwarded from the linux-m68k mailing list)

> Linux does not have problems with 2GB partitions, thats an Atari

> specific limitation.

?? What Atari limit? We're not talking about TOS partitions, those are
much more limited :-)

Roman