Re: This is a public warning

laurac...@frontiernet.net

Jun 16, 2016, 6:50:30 PM6/16/16
to emilypm...@gmail.com, board mattole, zuckerman seth
Dear Emily,
We do have two admins--Seth Zuckerman, who began this Board but no longer
lives locally, and I.

Neither of us is on the Board 24/7, so things do slip through. Normally, we
only review messages from first-time posters; once someone has posted, is
local, and seems legit, they are free to post at will.
The poster in question, like all members, had blanket permission like most
anyone else. From now on she will be on provisional permission--that is, all
her posts will need to be pre-approved.

I deleted the post from the Google Board on the website, but as far as
people who get the notices via email, the damage is done. I'm sorry that
happened. Thank you for calling my attention to the content of the message.

We do not use the Google Board to discredit other members of the community,
even as a well-intentioned warning, although an intelligent discussion as to
the limits of that taboo could occur. However, in the case of smearing the
names of innocent people who have nothing to do with the complaint at
hand... there is no question: that is not allowed.

Thank you again.
~Laura Cooskey

Jun 17, 2016, 12:07:02 AM6/17/16
to laura cooskey, emilypm...@gmail.com, Mattole Group Groups, Seth Zuckerman
So what was the proper way for Nora to tell us to beware? Before you shut her off, you should come up with a protocol for the service she was trying to provide for the community.

laurac...@frontiernet.net

Jun 17, 2016, 12:56:10 AM6/17/16
to Michael Evenson, emilypm...@gmail.com, Mattole Group Groups, Seth Zuckerman
Hi Michael,
Good questions. Did you see the original post?
Perhaps I should confer with Seth and see if we do have an official policy
on this matter.

I would say, however, based on what I've seen on here over the past few
years, that a publicly-aired complaint about treatment by other community
locals is just not done... if it were, whoa, imagine the posts I might have
made about contractors, renters, ex's, borrowers, mechanics, petty thieves,
etc.! A lot of harm can be done by rumors perpetrated on the internet or in
print... more, I think, than by regular whispered gossip or slander. The
written word hangs around and can be seen by people long after the bad news
has become yesterday's news.

Now, if someone had a record--an actual legal conviction--for something we
should know about; or, if way out in this lawless hinterland we substitute
community opinion for legal conviction, then if a group of, say, a dozen
people found it worthwhile to present a solemnly sworn statement that they
believed a person to be dangerous or untrustworthy--perhaps that would pass
muster. I don't know. I would like more people to weigh in on the matter,
though!

But bringing up someone else's name in a derogatory matter, when that person
had done nothing recently to renew antagonism, seems to me to be clearly out
of bounds.

Maybe the store lets people post such things on the bulletin board there.

Perhaps Nora might even have posted "I have had a bad experience with a
local worker. If you would like to know more call me." Then only those who
are looking to employ someone, or who are very interested in gossip, would
know. One thing I've learned is there are two sides to almost every story,
and I personally don't want to have to hear out all the angles of people's
suspicions and resentments of their neighbors and business associates.

If Nora actually thought this person had pedophilic tendencies, a serious
charge, she ought to go to the County and report him, or at least look him
up and see if he's a convicted child molester. In that case, I would think
the news that we had a bona-fide creep among us might help protect from
potential harm, and a public post might be warranted. But if it's just a
suspicion, strongly felt but with no verification, the accuser might still
mention it in person to other parents of young people--word would get
around. But stating something unsubstantiated like that on a public forum
like this is just not right. I agree with Emily.

I welcome more input on the subject. These are only my opinions and not
official policy.

~Laura

trenchtownrock1

Jun 17, 2016, 1:56:09 AM6/17/16
to Mattole Valley Bulletin Board
I think those are very good points Laura. Just my opinion..there should be a forum to confront and address concerns.. appropriately. If u paid him.. Thats ur bad. Own it. U shouldnt have it u didnt feel it was right. U could have comprimised.. That takes time and patience tho and its a bitch i know. It sucks it happens to all of us at some point. Get references. If he has expressed pediphelic tendancies.. Of course i wanna know but facts.. please. We all know that if some of us had spoke out or spoke up ...certain things might not have happened. I think the valley has alway had a hard task at hand..trying to self regulate. We have forgoten how to do it right without the cops there to regulate. We can do this and better. There are positive ways to confront and build out of concern and pride in our valley. Not fear and anger of new and unknown. Not to be a bible thumper but just as a guide the book says to do it in threes.. For a reason. Think about it. If three can agree then one will usually listen.