backpack with valuables stolen

laurac...@frontiernet.net

Jul 11, 2024, 5:55:25 PM (5 days ago) Jul 11
to board mattole
I just saw this note on the Petrolia Store bulletin board, called the guy to get the rest of the story, and he approved me posting about it here.

Paul Cienfuegos-- long-time Humboldt resident and somewhat of a public figure, as a writer and activist-- was visiting his friends here and planning a two-day backpack trip down the beach from McNutt to the mouth of the Mattole and back. In exploring for a campsite, he left his backpack leaning on the big rock at the Mussel Ranch (just south of where you access the beach at McNutt) while he went south a little bit further, checking out tidepools and sleeping spots. At one point, he looked back and saw, with his binoculars, a man walking around at the rock, about where he'd left his pack. He returned to the spot to find the pack missing.

Paul lost:
A burnt-orange-colored roughly 60-liter backpack-- a Gregory "Baltoro."
A red MSR tent.
"Next Adventures" sleeping bag.
His wallet!
Food and clothing, etc.

Needless to say, the camping trip was over. He went and called the banks to stop payment on his bank cards and found that the perp had already attempted to use them (which was disappointing for me to hear as i'd hoped that maybe someone had thought the pack was lost or that there'd been foul play, and they were doing a good deed by taking the pack to turn in somewhere. Nope).

Anyway, we suspect that a person who camps around the Seven-Mile Beach probably took it, since there was no car there at the Gulch either when Paul parked or through this misadventure.

If you see any of these items or have any info that might be of interest, please call or text Paul at 503-506-8333.

Thank you,
~Laura

PS In light of the report about the badly injured guy believing he was attacked by a human several miles down the coast from McNutt, in the Lost Coast Camp Counselors' (et. al.) rescue, this unusual (for here) crime becomes more interesting.

Debbie Holt

Jul 11, 2024, 6:47:38 PM (5 days ago) Jul 11
to laurac...@frontiernet.net, board mattole

Sorry to hear that Paul about your backpack and belongings, that is terrible. Doing the right thing is my motto and Karma is a Bitch💯
Stay well all and have a Great Rest of your day😎

Bruce Kabick

Jul 11, 2024, 8:25:11 PM (5 days ago) Jul 11
to Debbie Holt, laurac...@frontiernet.net, board mattole
Get the rope again, with the knot that shall not be named !
Sent from my iPhone

susanna lopez

Jul 11, 2024, 8:30:18 PM (5 days ago) Jul 11
to Mattole Valley Bulletin Board
A-MEN

Susan Radebaugh

Jul 11, 2024, 11:05:53 PM (5 days ago) Jul 11
to susanna lopez, Mattole Valley Bulletin Board
If the guy tried to use it for cash wouldn't he have needed to go to the store's ATM? Cell phone service doesn't work in most places out here.

laurac...@frontiernet.net

Jul 11, 2024, 11:51:39 PM (5 days ago) Jul 11
to Susan Radebaugh, Mattole Valley Bulletin Board
Not here, they guy had gone to town and tried to use the cards at several places but didn't have the passwords. I hope these places might have surveillance cameras that would show what human was at a machine at the moment the fraudulent attempts were made, and maybe what vehicle he stepped out of.

Robert Yosha

Jul 12, 2024, 11:28:55 AM (4 days ago) Jul 12
to laurac...@frontiernet.net, board mattole
Paul,
I've admired and respected you for many years.
I'm so sorry this awful bullshit happened to you here in the Mattole.
Please email me if you get a chance. I live close by and I'd like to help.
Rob Yosha

Jul 12, 2024, 6:54:43 PM (4 days ago) Jul 12
to laurac...@frontiernet.net, board mattole
Not how we like to think of Mattole folks . . . Wish they were all life savers like the Lost Coast campers and counselors last week and not backpack stealers. Sorry to hear this.

Lindsay