Bulk modulus missing data

Debasis Sengupta

Jul 17, 2019, 11:28:50 AM7/17/19
to matminer
Hi,

I am trying to compute matminer feature using
cf.ElementProperty.from_preset("matminer")

It work fine for other features, but for 'PymatgenData mean bulk_modulus' for composition such as  Al0.25NbTaTiZr (writes NaN), but it works for Al0.25NbTaTiV
I figured from /utils/data_files/magpie_elementdata/BulkModulus.table  that the data for Zr is missing.  I found out the value from literature and filled the "Missing" Zr value.
It still does not work.

Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks
Debasis

Logan Ward

Jul 18, 2019, 9:11:20 AM7/18/19
to Debasis Sengupta, matminer

Hello Debasis,

The error here stems from the “matminer” present of ElementProperty using data from pymatgen, and not the tables in the “magpie_elementdata” folder.

You can edit the Pymatgen data by changing the value in Pymatgen before computing features. See code example below.

Best,

Logan

>>> from pymatgen import Element, Composition

>>> x = Element('Zr')

>>> x.bulk_modulus

>>> x = Element('Fe')

>>> x.bulk_modulus

170.0

>>> x = Element('Zr')

>>> from matminer.featurizers.composition import ElementProperty

>>> e = ElementProperty('pymatgen', ['bulk_modulus'], ['mean'])

>>> e.featurize(Composition('Zr'))

[nan]

>>> x.bulk_modulus = 10

>>> e.featurize(Composition('Zr'))

[10.0]

Debasis Sengupta

Jul 18, 2019, 11:12:49 AM7/18/19
to matminer
Hi Logan,
Thanks for the tips.

Is there a way I can directly edit that data file in pymatgen instead of assigning value by scripting?  Where should I look for the pymatgen bulk modulus data file that I can edit and save?

Thanks
Debasis

Logan Ward

Jul 18, 2019, 11:15:35 AM7/18/19
to Debasis Sengupta, matminer

Yes, you can edit the “periodic_table.json” file associated with Pymatgen.

See: https://github.com/materialsproject/pymatgen/blob/master/pymatgen/core/periodic_table.json

Logan