Installation in Windows

Cey

Oct 19, 2009, 2:51:55 PM10/19/09
to mathtex-dev
Hey,

I have been trying to install mathtex and its dependencies (freetype,
libpng, numpy). I got mathtex test code working in python shell when i
have all of these libraries in one folder and run install command for
Mathtex but i cannot import Mathtex within other python files. I am
used to having all of these libraries in python/site-packages and let
python deal with them. I have numpy installed because i could find its
binary.

Is there a place where i can find binaries for mathtex, freetype,
libpng? or Is there a procedure for installing it in Windows?

Thanks,

Cey

Freddie Witherden

Oct 20, 2009, 7:12:00 AM10/20/09
to matht...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

> I have been trying to install mathtex and its dependencies (freetype,
> libpng, numpy). I got mathtex test code working in python shell when i
> have all of these libraries in one folder and run install command for
> Mathtex but i cannot import Mathtex within other python files. I am
> used to having all of these libraries in python/site-packages and let
> python deal with them. I have numpy installed because i could find its
> binary.

If you can get mathtex to import in a Python shell then you should be 95% of
the way there. While I have not got mathtex working successfully under Windows
the problem has always been with building the libraries, as opposed to
importing them. So this is good!

I would expect everything to work if mathtex and the required .dll files are
installed to site-packages. Or, if that is not an option then it should also
be possible to modify PYTHON_PATH to include the directory with everything in.

This should allow you to run and import mathtex from anywhere on the system.

> Is there a place where i can find binaries for mathtex, freetype,
> libpng? or Is there a procedure for installing it in Windows?

I believe the GTK+ project provide .dll's for FreeType and libpng. However,
neither of these are particularly evil to build.

Currently no binaries are provided for the mathtex module. But, if people
report success building binaries themselves then I have no objections to
making them official and hosting them.

Regards, Freddie.