Spam, Google Gropus and First Post Moderation

Freddie Witherden

Nov 25, 2009, 9:46:01 AM11/25/09
to matht...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Recently there has been quite a bit of spam posted to the Mathtex group. Very
little of this has been caught by Google.

Google Groups spam appears to be a degenerate problem at the moment -- with
Google doing seemingly little to prevent it. Hence, I have enabled first post
moderation for the group. This means that the first post of any new member must
be moderated.

It appears to be a reasonable compromise. I check the list daily and so all
(non-spam) messages should get through with little delay.

There have been reports of spammers using the e-mail addresses of moderated
members to subvert it -- so we'll need to see how it works out :)

Regards, Freddie.