CIMI Excellence Research Chair for Persi Diaconis (Stanford University)
Persi Diaconis’ scientific interests are extremely broad, from
probability and statistics to group theory, algebra and combinatorics.
The Excellence Chair will boost scientific activities and interactions
within the different teams of IMT and IRIT, as well as with the other
sciences, such as physics, chemistry, biology, economy…
The activities will be structured around:
- One month invitation (between May and June) of a senior researcher, Jason Fulman (University of Southern California),
who is in particular studying Markov chains via group representation theory.
- One month invitation (February) of a junior
researcher Sergio Baccalado (Stanford University) ,who is using higher
order Markov chains for the modeling of the chemistry kinetics.
- A mini-conference on orthogonal polynomials and hypergroups (one or two days in the second week of June).
- Persi Diaconis will give six lectures (one per
month) on interactions of probability theory with other fields.
They should be accessible to advanced undergraduates and graduate
students and could be of interest for mathematicians, computer
scientists and colleagues from other sciences.
- A bimonthly seminar/workshop open to the various possible fields of interactions.
- One mathematics vulgarization show based on magic in direction of a larger audience.