MathMap Composer Tab Crashes MathMap On Ubuntu 17.10

Tas Mania

Jan 6, 2018, 5:59:05 AM1/6/18
to MathMap
It's actually a segfault and it takes out MathMap but not Gimp. It happens when MM is compiled on Ubuntu 17.10.
Ubuntu 17.04 works well on the later versions with this workaround:
(sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgsl.so.23 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgsl.so.19)

The symlink makes it look like a libgsl issue but I don't think it is.

Crash logs point to line 1768 of mathmap.c

 /* Notebook */

    notebook
= gtk_notebook_new();
    gtk_notebook_set_tab_pos
(GTK_NOTEBOOK (notebook), GTK_POS_TOP);
    gtk_paned_add2
(GTK_PANED(top_table), notebook);
    gtk_widget_show
(notebook);
er code here

The 'notebook' here is the page-like layout of MathMap.
As soon as you click that last Composer page MathMap crashes.

Issue has been logged here:
https://github.com/schani/mathmap/issues/29

Tas Mania

Jan 9, 2018, 4:46:18 AM1/9/18
to MathMap
MathMap compiled on Xubuntu 18.04 (latest) does the same thing. Composer crashes.
There were significant library changes between Ubuntu 17.04 and 17.10.

Internally, Composer is called 'Designer' with it's own folder. It's not essential to MathMap but it's such a brilliant feature. It has never been fully utilized in my opinion.
It chains filters together and applies them sequentially. The only limitation is you can't use the same filter twice.
I used Mathmap composer to make my 'Virtual Lava Lamp'.

I suspect the problem is caused by a deprecated statement(s) within the Composer/Designer code or even a buggy library.