best way to avoid line breaks

Camembert d'Alembert

Apr 12, 2024, 4:51:36 AMApr 12
to MathJax Users
Hello
Currently I want to avoid line breaks inside inline formulas. Therefore I am using this CSS code :

.MathJax:not([display="true"]){
     display:inline-block;
}

It works well, as far as I see. But I was wondering if there was a better/safer way to do it, but non-specific to a renderer.

I know I can also put my formulas inside brackets ${...}$.

Thanks

Davide Cervone

Apr 12, 2024, 4:18:26 PMApr 12
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
You don't say what version of MathJax you are using.  If you are not using a v4 (now in beta release), then MathJax's in-line expressions should not break.  If they do, then there may be CSS on your page that is interfering with MathJax's output, so look for that first.

If you are using v4, you can turn off in-line breaking via the MathJax contextual menu (in the "Wide Expressions" submenu of the "Math Settings" menu).  You can make that the default for all users by setting the output.linebreaks.inline option to false in the MathJax configuration:

MathJax = {
  output: {
    linebreaks: {
      inline: false
    }
  }
};

Users will still be able to change that setting in the MathJax contextual menu.  See the release notes for more details.

Davide