Math sans-serif bold italic?

Adam Townsend

May 20, 2024, 4:19:46 PMMay 20
to MathJax Users
Hi MJ community,

Any idea how to do bold sans-serif italic in MathJax? I'm looking for an equivalent of \mathbfsfit from the unicode-math package, or equivalently \mathsfbfit from the isomath package. I would like this to work on both Latin and Greek characters.

I don't want to change anything else in general: I'm happy with the default serif Computer/Latin Modern everywhere. I just want to format certain variables in this way (in line with the way that matrices/tensors are often formatted in fluid mechanics).

Cheers,
Adam

William F Hammond

May 20, 2024, 6:23:55 PMMay 20
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 1:19 PM Adam Townsend <ad...@adamtownsend.com> wrote:
Hi MJ community,

Any idea how to do bold sans-serif italic in MathJax? I'm looking for an equivalent of \mathbfsfit from the unicode-math package, or equivalently \mathsfbfit from the isomath package. I would like this to work on both Latin and Greek characters.
, , ,

Two ideas that I have not recently tested.

1.  If your HTML has MathML rather than LaTeX for Mathjax, try using CSS on  <mi>'s  with specified attributes.

2.  Take a look at the raw characters in the range from U+1D5A0 to U+1D7A5 (mathematical sans-serif), particularly U+1D63C – U+1D66F for Latin and U+1D790 – U+1D7C9 for Greek.

Also, optionally, you may want to consider serving web fonts (truetype or opentype) if you have that ability.

        -- Bill

William F Hammond
Email: gel...@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/william.f.hammond
http://www.albany.edu/~hammond/

𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒔𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒅𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒄𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒚 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝒊𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒕.   -- 𝐊𝐞𝐧 𝐁𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐬

Davide Cervone

May 24, 2024, 4:13:05 PMMay 24
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
Adam:

You don't say what version of MathJax you are using.  In v3 and v4, there is already \mathbfsfit, but it don't affect lower-case greek.  With a little work, that could be handled.

If you are using v2, then the default MathJax-TeX font doesn't include bold-italic sans-serif characters, so you would need to use SVG output (or HTML-CSS, though that is the oldest and most fragile output format) with one of the fonts that do include those characters, e.g., the STIX fonts.  It would be possible to define your own version of \mathbfsfit that sets the math variant to sans-serif-bold-italic, but before I spend time writing anything, I would like to know the version you are using, so I can give you the correct code.

Davide