Something went wrong with Computing Speech

Ron George Pile

Feb 18, 2024, 8:49:05 PMFeb 18
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
I'm using MathJax v4 and occasionally, I've been getting this error on the console when math gets typeset. At one point, speech output works fine, and I can browse the math output with generated speech. However, while I'm still on the page, or when math gets added to the page by the user and they step into the typeset math (i.e by pressing enter) to explore the generated speech, all the typeset math tags lose their speech output(even if they were typeset before), and speech is not generated anymore until I refresh the page. It's worth noting that the math labels (aria-labels) are not text anymore, but appear to be in Braille format.

I'm not sure if this is a bug in Mathjax and if anyone has faced this before. I use the tex2chtml package, and I typeset my page with tex2chtmlPromise(). It's confusing because 90% of the time it works but sometimes it brings up this weird behavior.

I've attached a screenshot to show the error, and how the rendered math doesn't have generated speech when I step into the equation.

Sincerely,
Ron Pile
Screenshot 2024-02-18 202434.png

Ron George Pile

Feb 18, 2024, 9:00:41 PMFeb 18
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
NB: This also happens whenever I navigate from one page to another. It works fine when I've refreshed the browser on a page but when I navigate to another page and come back, the math gets typeset but the speech output is lost