\( \sum_{|\alpha|<m} \) does not render, \( \sum_{|\alpha|< m} \) does

owen.nic...@gmail.com

May 17, 2020, 8:19:21 AM5/17/20
to MathJax Users

in Firefox 76.0.1 (64-bit) on Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS

PROBLEM:

\( \sum_{|\alpha|<m} \) does not render.

But adding a space in front of the "m" solves the problem:

\( \sum_{|\alpha|< m} \) does render

If "m" is replace by a number, the problem goes away.

Phil Perry

Jun 3, 2022, 5:44:23 PM6/3/22
to MathJax Users

It sounds like "<m" is being interpreted (by the browser?) as a tag. Putting a space(s) around it should prevent this.

Owen Nicholas

Jun 4, 2022, 12:15:51 AM6/4/22
to MathJax Users
Ok, thank you! Yes, that makes sense.

In theory, one would assume that by the time the \( is open, we are in the world of tex, not html, and that mathjax should follow tex rules.

One would also imagine that mathjax manages to do its work before html is interpreted, but I guess it is a bit more complicated than that

Phil Perry

Jun 7, 2022, 1:07:08 PM6/7/22
to MathJax Users
I'm not sure how formally the order of things is defined, but apparently HTML tags get processed before MathJax gets a crack at the text. At least, you should probably work on that assumption. I wouldn't be surprised if the same goes for HTML entities.

Alex Jordan

Jun 7, 2022, 1:25:37 PM6/7/22
to MathJax Users
To avoid issues with the special HTML characters < and >, you can use the macros \lt and \gt.

See:
That's 2.7 documentation, which is the version you are using. But it's the same for MathJAx 3:

Davide Cervone

Jun 7, 2022, 4:14:20 PM6/7/22
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
The HTML page is parsed into the DOM (Document Object Model) before MathJax runs.  That means tags and entities are parsed long before MathJax runs, so MathJax can do nothing about how the HTML special characters are interpreted.

Why "sent mail" includes a response to your original message back at the time you sent it, but it doesn't appear to have made it to the mailing list (not sure why).  Sorry that you went so long without an answer; I didn't check that my reply actually posted.

Davide