/frac command

Dashiell Moore

Jun 10, 2024, 8:16:11 PMJun 10
to MathJax Users
Hi all,

I'm beginning with MathJax and am working with a colleague who has integrated MathJax via a plugin for in-line expressions. We've run into a few issues with the display of \frac commands.

All other mathematical expressions appear to be working and display correctly. However, even the simplest expression such as \( frac{1}{2} \) returns a "Missing argument for \frac" message. I've tried other browsers, removed cookies, made a rule to enclose all \fracs in an additional layer of curly brackets, and have reviewed the documentation and can't find any specific issue with the integration that could account for this.

Unfortunately, in our team, I'm not responsible with the integration itself, so I don't have immediate oversight over the exact setup of the plugin. I was asked to look around to identify any possible errors and flag them. So with that in mimind, any ideas would be enormously useful!

Thanks,
Dashiell

David W. Farmer

Jun 10, 2024, 9:12:55 PMJun 10
to MathJax Users

Might you be in a system where expressions like {1} are
interpreted in some way/replaced by something else?
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mathjax-users/1dc88b46-2d08-4de2-9735-72515932c745n%40googlegroups.com.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Dashiell Moore

Jun 12, 2024, 2:18:58 PM (14 days ago) Jun 12
to MathJax Users
 Hi David, thanks for the follow up. I think this may be the case here. The plugin works within a closed system behind Azure, so there may well be extensions in place that I don't know about. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the JavaScript code used to integrate MathJax, but I can ask my colleague whether we can check if there are specific settings or scripts in place that interpret/replace text. Interestingly, even if I use different formattings (dfrac or $\ or {\) the same error comes up, so it seems to recognise a fraction is in place but has no referent. The numbers all appear to convey, but it is missin the larger rule for fraction-type questions (to me, a layperson).

Dashiell Moore

Jun 12, 2024, 2:18:58 PM (14 days ago) Jun 12
to MathJax Users
Thanks David, there certainly could be some middleware / syntax rules in place, as the plugin works within a closed system behind Azure. I don't have access to the specific JSS code used to integrate MathJax in my teamm. However, even if I use different syntax / formattings, the \frac error remains the same. I'll try to troubleshoot this with my colleague.

David W. Farmer

Jun 12, 2024, 2:24:42 PM (14 days ago) Jun 12
to MathJax Users

If \frac12 works, then the curly brackets are the problem.