deprecate or reduce maction?

Paul Libbrecht

Jun 22, 2022, 2:04:10 AM6/22/22
to MathJax Users
Hello MathJaxers,

I'm new to the community so I hope that my question is not inappropriate.
In the will to straighten and reduce the MathML specification (thus writing MathML4) we considered the very broad applications that stand behind the maction element and see that, in MathJax as in other places, what is used to be offered there is offered using other means such as attributes on MathML.

Thus we thought of two simplifications:
  • deprecate maction in MathML4: this would give the time till a later release of MathML (quite a few years) to discourage maction and encourage alternative codings.
  • simply remove the predefined action types listed with the maction elements such as toggle or statusline (find them in the bottom of this section of the draft).
The topic was discussed a little bit on the www-math mailing list (e.g. in the june threads) but we wanted to have  feedback of the important community of MathJaxers since maction is mentioned in several places in the documentation.

thanks in advance.

Paul

Davide Cervone

Jun 28, 2022, 9:06:32 AM6/28/22
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
Paul:

MathJax uses maction nodes in two important ways: first, it adds \mathtip and \texttip macros that provide tool-tips on the typeset math using maction nodes as the underlying mechanism, and second, our a11y/complexity component provides a method of "collapsing" long expressions using maction nodes.  The v2 extension to automatically collapse expression to fit the screen width has not yet been ported to v3, but the ability to collapse expressions is available in v3.

While it would be possible for us to manage this in other ways, it is certainly convenient to have the maction MathML node available for these purposes.  Should maction be removed, we would need to encode these features using our own internal MathML extensions, which we have tried to limit as much as possible.

Davide